Missing records after syncing

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Clement Chang
    Participant

em – not sure if I am doing something wrong…

I have a home inventory form that I created to keep track of household items (partly also for insurance). I use an iPhone to capture photos and sync with a laptop (MacBook) and a desktop (Mac as well) via iCloud.

What I am experiencing is that I would lose records once in a while when syncing with a device that I haven’t synced with for a while. I would notice missing records or missing photos. It renders the app almost unusable since I would then spend hours trying to figure what has gone from the records and find a way to recapture photos, invoices etc. (and there are cases where the invoices are just no longer with me).

I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong? I mean I thought it was me forgetting something but this has appeared again and again. I have been really careful in making sure that I let the apps sync properly before opening it elsewhere.

I am going to export all records temporarily including PDFs and Photos just to have a peace of mind but would love to see this having more reliability – it’s a fantastic app otherwise.

Anything you will need to debug please do let me know.

Cheers!

July 30, 2020 at 12:29 PM #41573

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Clement,

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry for this situation. It may be an iCloud issue. Are you able to try one of the other sync services to see if you have a better experience?

I’m working on a bigger update to Tap Forms that will take some time, but it should offer some other sync options and an improvement in the overall sync situation.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 3, 2020 at 2:34 AM #41587

Clement Chang
    Participant

Hi Brendan

It does feel like an iCloud issue. I will try to see if Nearby option works a bit better. It’s just a bit too scary to see data disappear…

Will report back!

August 3, 2020 at 8:50 AM #41588

Patrice Hof
    Participant

Hi everybody
    For any months I do experience the same problem.
    Sometimes records are missing and sometimes fields are missing (but the data is somewhere since the sorting remains).
    It’s very annoying because I can’t rely on the data…
    Thank you for working on an update. I hope it will fix this problem.
    Thanks
    patrice

August 5, 2020 at 3:55 PM #41595

Nancy Stein
    Participant

I am also missing fields in some of my data bases. I really need the information and this is driving me crazy.

What is causing the fields to disappear? Is there a way to recover the data?

August 8, 2020 at 2:27 AM #41616

Frédéric
    Participant

Hello

Will the next version allow you to generate smart lists?
    Let me explain: I created categories of objects (jewelry, photography …) and for each object in this category I indicate its location. But I haven’t found a way to create lists by location of these same objects (living room, cellar …) without duplicating these same objects (which could double the size of the archives: currently 1.66GB).
    Is this currently an impossible function or the trick has escaped me?

Moreover, like Clement, I sometimes have recalcitrant photos which absolutely refuse to be displayed on my iPad although several times I have deleted them and then added them to my iMac. Sometimes fields also disappear. But what is the software police doing?!?

Thanks from France and have a good day
    Frédéric Navarre

August 8, 2020 at 10:00 AM #41620

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

A saved search will do that for you. On the Mac, click on the filter button to the left of the search box and it will let you do advanced search on the fields. You will have to create a saved search for each facet you are interested in (living room, cellar, etc) and then it will show up on the left form list under the form name.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    August 8, 2020 at 10:34 PM #41628

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

@njstein if you make an edit to the field on the device that has the field, it should trigger the sync system to register a change to the field and have it propagate to the other devices. Which sync system are you using?

August 13, 2020 at 1:03 AM #41665

Frédéric
    Participant

This solution is not suitable for me because each search performed only takes into account objects classified in a single category of objects. I’ve tried selecting all of my records and run a targeted search, but the end result still only returns one kind of category. And it is not rational to carry out a search only by category, it is too tedious and not very readable (the inventory of my apartment counts 21 categories of objects).

August 13, 2020 at 8:35 AM #41666

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Perhaps you can share a form template or screenshot of your fields so that we’re on the same page?

August 13, 2020 at 11:38 AM #41667

Nancy Stein
    Participant

I was using iCloud until I turned it off this past weekend. Would I have to make a change in every single field that is missing from the laptop? The fields seem to be in the records on the iPad. I’m afraid to touch anything at this point.

August 13, 2020 at 9:08 PM #41670

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Yeah, you do a change on the device that has the field and that should trigger it to push that change and hopefully push the field to the laptop.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.