Missing images…. Sync

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Eddzo
    Participant

I needed to keep track of my receipts for an insurance claim, I was using tap forms to keep track of the receipts.
    I would enter them on a table, and snap a picture of it.

I’m missing 39 images.
    Both iphone and desktop

Sync has NOT worked for me with this app, god knows I’ve tried to get it to work.
    How do I recover my 39 images?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 28, 2019 at 5:09 PM #34110

Brendan
    Keymaster

Do you have a backup of your document?

If you right-click on your .tapforms document in the Finder, you can navigate into the .cblite2 folder and then within that into the attachments folder.

I’m wondering if they’re still there just not attached to the records anymore? They’ll all have randomly generated filenames with a .blob file extension. But the Finder should be able to display a preview of the image. Hopefully they’re still there.

Sorry for this trouble.

April 3, 2019 at 4:18 PM #34277

Eddzo
    Participant

Thank god I kept the originals in a bag, lol

Is there a way to store an image by date and time…?

So like if I’m keeping track of receipts with a table, and I snap a picture of the receipt it can link it to the value in the table?

April 3, 2019 at 9:45 PM #34278

Brendan
    Keymaster

You would have to have a separate Date field you fill out to associate your photo with a date and then just set that when you set your photo.

April 4, 2019 at 4:14 PM #34289

Eddzo
    Participant

What am I doing wrong to cause this?

This photo has been sitting on that record for over 1yr, then out of the blue I get this screen on the iphone

Attachments:
    April 4, 2019 at 4:20 PM #34291

Eddzo
    Participant

This is how I set up this database.
    Figured it would be easier to have all the images in one folder. I might be overwhelming that photo field I take it?

I’m still unclear on how to add the date and time to the image.

I’m assuming instead of working in one record, I could have to create 143 individual records and I can export all the records into a .cvs file and it takes them all an drops them into a spreadsheet….

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments:
    April 4, 2019 at 6:56 PM #34294

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh wow… ya, 70 images in one photo field seems a bit much. It seems that rather than multiple records with one receipt per record, you have just one record with 74 photos and that Table field that has the details for each receipt.

That’s not how I would recommend setting up your form.

I would recommend taking the fields from your Table field and putting them in the main form and have one receipt photo per record. That way you can do things like create Saved Searches to filter your records based on date ranges and other criteria. You would have a date associated with each receipt.

I’m not sure what caused the missing photo though. Each photo is stored as a .blob file in the database. It may be something within the CouchbaseLite database engine that caused the file to be removed from disk. If you delete a photo field from the form and then compact the database, Tap Forms will purge all the photos that were referenced in that field. Or if you delete a photo that’s when Tap Forms will remove the .blob file. But it shouldn’t happen just by itself. I know it did, but it shouldn’t happen obviously. I don’t know what caused it is what I’m saying. Sorry about that.

April 5, 2019 at 9:00 AM #34296

Eddzo
    Participant

I think I found a temporary work around for now.

I had 189 original receipts
    I took photos of them with my phone, straight into photos on the device.

Went to the desktop once they where all uploaded to the cloud/Photos app
    Opened Tap forms
    Opened Photos app
    Moved the images from photos app into a folder, then renamed them Receipt 1 – 189
    Highlighted all the images,
    Moved them into Tap Forms
    Tap Forms then takes all my images and resizes them
    THEN
    I export them along with the table
    BAM
    All the images are in order by date
    Entry 1 in the table = Photo receipt 1
    Small enough to email them out…

I really need to figure out why syncing doesn’t work for me, I have SOOOO many uses for this app.
    I might be taxing the hell out of the iOS devices with having to take the image resize it then send it to the cloud then updating the desktop etc.
    I’m going to try and build my forms differently and see if they export like they do know

Anyhow, hope this helps someone
    Thank you

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.