Missing Fields In Single View Mode

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Got to share a quirk with you. I have a fairly complex Single View Mode Layout. I changed 5 fields from number to calculation field type. I deleted the old number fields, renamed them and placed the new calculation fields in the layout. But the fields wouldn’t show up in my custom layout. Not in Form Mode after I placed them. I made a backup, switched to default layout, used edit and save in Form Mode. They were not “there” in any fashion displaying the correct calculation except, oddly, the subsequent calculation field display the correct, modified amount. I tried everything to make them show. They finally appeared when I went back to each calculation field and hit the Calculation field type button and kind of “recharged” it. It gave me the serious warning that data may disappear that you always get when changing most fields to another type (hence my reluctance to say yes to that dialogue.) I’m curious as to why re-choosing the Calculation field type (even though it was showing that they were already Calculation Fields) was necessary. It seems the first time I changed from the Number Field to the Calculation field didn’t really get executed. Not sure why I had to do it again, after much frustration and time lost.

Also, separately, it appears to me that sometimes using Currency Style is hard to make the dollar sign show up. I’ve successfully made it show up on some fields but not others. For instance, they show easily on some calculation fields, but not on some number fields, no matter what options I try. There seem to three options I can set: 1. Obviously, selecting Number Style with Currency Style option is the first step. Then 2. I can leave Currency as Unspecified or choose US Dollar. And then 3. finally I can select either 0 or 2 decimal places. As said, I have done it successfully with some fields but I can’t seem to replicate my success on other fields. In Default display layout it works perfectly but in my rather complex Single Mode View form it doesn’t seem to show up. It don’t believe it’s because the fields (where it doesn’t work) are too narrow. Is there a combo of settings that’s fast and reliable where the dollar sign appears? Again, I’ve tried every kind of refresh I know, like saving in Form Mode from Edit Mode, making a back up and closing and reopening the file, switching to default mode, etc.

I have few other foibles but that’s enough for now.

Still love the software. You guys are geniuses. A multi-billion dollar couldn’t do it, but you could! How’s that for small business innovation? Bento was crap compared to this—and I loved Bento at the time too!

Is there a way I can share my whole database with you… so you can see where I’m going wrong with these little things?

Cheers

Bob

April 1, 2017 at 9:02 PM #21794

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

Sure, just use the Backup function in the File menu, then email me the .zip file that’s created. I can take a look at it for you to try and figure out why the $ sign isn’t showing up when it should.

That error shouldn’t show up when selecting the same field type. I’ll look into that.

I’m happy you’re still enjoying Tap Forms, despite these issues you’ve had.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 1, 2017 at 9:40 PM #21795

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    I may have found the reason why some fields successfully show the $ sign in Currency Fields and some do not. If a calculation field depends on choosing from a pick list, and even though the pick list may display the dollar sign, e.g., $200, I see that when in Form edit mode, the selection automatically deletes the $ sign (presumably to make the $200 into 200, a pure number). The result, of course, is that the program automatically is getting rid of the $ sign for that calculation purpose.
    Again, and separately, it seems that if one changes a style or an attribute of a number or calculation field, it seems to work best if one “recharges” or reassigns the field type in Form Mode (ignoring the loss of date warning) and then go back to Layout Mode and replace the fields. Then, it appears correctly in Form Mode. Thus, placing fields in Single View custom forms should only be done AFTER one is sure of the correct style or attribute. We shouldn’t expect, after the field has been placed in a layout that one cannot reliably go back and change the style of a number or calculation field for it to display properly.

April 2, 2017 at 11:29 AM #21798

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

Ah I see. If you have a Number field that has a Pick List on it, you should use pure values without currency symbols in the Pick List.

You can also re-calculate all the values without having to change the field type by either editing the formula slightly (even just a space character there somewhere) or click the Refresh button at the bottom of the records list view.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.