Migrating to New Mac

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

OkieG8r
    Participant

Just purchased a new M1 MBP. Thought I’d just be able to download a TF to new computer and use same registration key, but could find no where to just download the app. What is the best way to get the App and all my Database Documents/Forms to the new computer these days?

Thanks in advance!

May 9, 2021 at 6:55 PM #44337

OkieG8r
    Participant

I have TF 5.3.4. TapForms 5 is only available as a purchase for $49.99 after I sign in. Tap Forms Organizer and Secure Database is available to DL from he cloud, but doesn’t appear to be 5.x?

May 9, 2021 at 10:31 PM #44339

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Normally I’d use Migration Assistant on the Mac to move all of my documents and applications over from my old Mac to my new Mac. It’s by and far the easiest way to get a new Mac up and running, almost identical to your old one.

If you bought outside of the App Store then you should be able to download the trial version and then put in your key to activate. Alternatively you should be able to just copy the application from your old Mac to the new one, TF isn’t M1 native yet.

If you bought from the App Store, you should be able to download the version your purchased from the App Store. There are two different Tap Forms in the App Store, the older Tap Forms 3.5 and the later Tap Forms 5.

On your old Mac, you should be able to launch Tap Forms and use Window > Database Documents to open up the document list and then if you click “Show in Finder”, it’ll open to the directory where all of your Tap Forms documents are and then copy them over from there to your new Mac.

May 10, 2021 at 12:28 AM #44341

Brendan
    Keymaster

Okie, you can download the Tap Forms 5 free trial version from here:

https://vendors.paddle.com/download/product/503174

Then just use your Tap Forms 5 license key to activate it.

I just had the paddle.com system email you a copy of your license key.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 10, 2021 at 4:30 PM #44347

OkieG8r
    Participant

Thanks, Sam. I was purposefully avoiding Migration Assistant as I am trying to start with a ‘clean’ Mac. But the information you provided is helpful. Thank you!

May 10, 2021 at 4:50 PM #44348

OkieG8r
    Participant

Thanks, Brandan! I appreciate such great service.

I am wondering if I could impose for one more answer?
    I have about 2GB worth of database documents (12 databases of about 5 forms each; two of them are encrypted). I am considering three transfer options:
    1) Copying the directory of the .tapforms docs to an external HD and placing them in the same location on the new Mac
    2) Exporting all the Archives to the HD then importing them into the new app.
    3) Using the share option from my my iPhone to transfer the data.

Is there one of these three options that is most favorable from a data integrity standpoint?

Thanks again for such a useful piece of software. By far, the most useful app I own.

May 10, 2021 at 9:14 PM #44349

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

All three of those should be equivalent but I’d personally just copy the directory across to your external HD because that’s going to be the quickest and easiest to bulk move everything. Only caveat I could think of is to make sure it’s Mac formatted (HFS or APFS) but it shouldn’t make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

May 11, 2021 at 11:55 AM #44357

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yup, as Sam suggested, just copying all the .tapforms documents across is the best thing to do.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.