Maximum Number of Records

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Robert Chadwick
    Participant

I am a former Bento user and am now going to migrate to Tap Forms. I plan to keep a number of databases in the program for Mac, iPhone & iPad … such as movies owned, books owned, home inventory, client records, etc.

Is there a maximum number of total records one can have in a database or in the total of all databases? Does having more records slow the program down? Any other information regarding how the program stores and retrieves records as related to performance would be much appreciated.

THANKS.

rOBB

January 22, 2014 at 7:38 PM #8860

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

There isn’t a specific limit. Only a practical limit. This is an area that I intend on improving in the coming year. It’s actually a combined issue with the number of fields and the number of rows you have in your database. If you have say a 10,000 row form with 2 fields, that will perform better than a 10,000 row form with 10 fields or more.

Tap Forms stores records in 1 table and the values in another. So when you have say 10 records and 10 fields in your form, then Tap Forms will actually be storing 100 rows to store the values plus another 10 rows to store the record meta data. Plus another 100 rows in the search index for the values.

Hope that gives you a good idea of how it works. As I said, I plan on improving this in the coming year. My goal is to store only 100 rows in the database for 100 records by combining the field values and records into the same table in the database and to also come up with a better way of storing the search index so it also doesn’t consume as much space. This will improve the performance and storage requirements of the app I believe.

Thanks!

Brendan

May 25, 2015 at 7:12 PM #13829

Hope on Wheels
    Participant

I have a database form with 60 fields. Currently having 3655 records. is there any maximum that i can keep or can i keep more than 10,000 records(rows)?

May 25, 2015 at 7:56 PM #13830

Brendan
    Keymaster

The more records and fields you have, the longer it will take to fetch the data. This is an area that I’m working on improving to make it more responsive. But it’s going to take a while.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.