maps function

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Jon Blackman
    Participant

How does the Mac map field work? I click the map icon, enter an address, click save and nothing happens. If I click the locator arrow, it will enter an address near to where I am, which I can edit – but this is not much help when entering other locations.

The iPhone app is a bit better, as I can enter an address and it will find the location, but then the actual address is no longer visible, replaced by just the city and state and the location numbers.

It seems I am better off just using a text field, although integration with the maps app would be very helpful. Or maybe I need an address field AND a map field, which can be set on the iPhone only. That would be a pretty involved workaround…

Hopefully I am just missing something obvious.

December 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM #8532

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jon,

Tap Forms is using the following Google Maps API to fetch addresses:

http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=big+ben+london&sensor=true&language=en

So whatever address comes back from that is what Tap Forms is able to plot on the map for you.

Do you have an example address that you’re trying to lookup that isn’t working for you?

You have to hit return by the way after you type in the address before you click Save.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM #8539

Jon Blackman
    Participant

The trick once again on the Mac is to press Return after typing an address.

I still cannot get the iPhone to save the text of the address. If I search for “1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington” (The White House) the pin drops at the correct location. When I press “Save”, the address displays as “Washington D.C., DC, 20500, United States 38.897096,-77.036545”. The workaround for now is to enter map addresses on the Mac.

Also, is there a way to turn of Tap Form’s use of the current location for Mac and iPhone? Not a big deal, but it would be preferable not to have this behavior as I am entering data.

December 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM #8544

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jon,

On iOS if you tap on the map annotation view button on the right, you can go into edit mode where you can change the name of the location.

Maybe not on the Mac, but certainly on the iPhone and iPad version users would want Tap Forms to automatically find their current location when they are adding a new record. So I don’t see a good reason to remove the function for auto-locating you when you go to a map field. It only does that if there’s no location already set anyway. Otherwise it shows you the location that you set in that value before.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.