Map Question

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Fullbreach
    Participant

I’ve searched the forums and haven’t really found a lot of information. I’m looking to create a “Contract Maintenance” database that can display all site locations on a map such as google maps. I’d also like the ability to change the “Pinpoint” icon for each site. the ability to change the colour of the icon on the map if the maintenance has been completed that month or not. The key is being able to have all “pinpoints” displayed on the map such as in Google maps “My places” at the same time as well, not just a single location.

Thanks in Advance

M

February 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM #5059

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello M,

Thanks for the feature request.

Brendan

February 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM #5064

willcook
    Participant

I strongly endorse the request to allow manual repositioning of a map location, as well as to show multiple locations on a map. The latter function should also allow a user to tap on a location to see its associated record. I do a lot of volunteer work that involves collecting field data on trees, both for a local government and for an Arboretum. Your app is ideally suited for this purpose. However, a few additional suggestions:

1. It would be nice if, in addition to the Location field, there were a separate Street Address field and a GPS Coordinates field. I will be uploading the location data into spreadsheets and GIS systems, and that might make the job easier. Plus, for the Arboretum application, street addresses are irrelevant.

2. It would be great if you had a stripped-down read-only version of the app that we could give to Arboretum visitors to use as a guide to the trees along the walking trails.

February 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM #5065

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Will,

You can manually reposition pins on the map view. Just tap the pin and drag it to where you want it to be.

Thanks for the other feature requests too.

Brendan

February 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM #5114

LDamers
    Participant

I’m glad someone else wants a map with all entries on it. I have a restaurant data base that would benefit greatly from a map to see all restaurants at the same time!!! I show so many people this program/data base and they are always excited to get their hands on it. Would be nice to be able to email a map of entries to them.

February 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM #5116

willcook
    Participant

I woke up this morning dreaming about this mapping feature and how valuable it would be to serious users. There could be fields in each record to select a shape and color for the map symbol. Then in the forms view the user can elect to display a map showing the locations of all records in the form. If he taps on one of the symbols, the corresponding record is displayed. The map would simply offer an alternate way of displaying the records, organized geographically rather than sorted by field. It would be a “killer”. Right now you would have to spend thousands of dollars on a sophisticated GIS system to get this capability.

:-)

February 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM #5119

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Will,

When I first added the location field to Tap Forms, the first thing I thought of was, “geez, it would be awfully nice to have a map view showing all the pins for all the records which have locations in them and tapping on a pin would take you to the record details” :-) For one reason or another I never ended up implementing that. And at the moment I need to focus all my time on syncing and Tap Forms Mac. But I would definitely love to squeeze this feature in there at some point. I think it would make for a killer demo at least :-)

Thanks!

Brendan

June 30, 2016 at 8:26 AM #17590

Kurtois
    Participant

Brendan,

Have you had an opportunity to implement your map idea you mentioned in the last post? I am a big fan of the idea.

June 30, 2016 at 7:22 PM #17597

Brendan
    Keymaster

It’s coming… for the Mac version.

August 2, 2016 at 7:06 AM #17815

Kurtois
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing this feature in Tap Forms 5!

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.