Make document open at startup

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

ct4
    Participant

How can I make a particular document to always open at startup – I have a document that always opens at startup but it is not the one I usually use, so I am always having to go to “open recent” to get the one I usually use.

Thanks

October 19, 2019 at 3:54 PM #37244

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi ct4,

As long as the document is opened before you quit Tap Forms, it will re-open then you re-launch Tap Forms AND if it’s one of the documents listed on the main Database Documents list window.

Also disable the Close windows when quitting app option on the General preferences panel in the System Preferences app.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 19, 2019 at 4:28 PM #37246

ct4
    Participant

This does not seem to work. The document is opened before I quit Tap Forms. However the other Document always opens – not the one that was open when I quit. Have also disables “close windows when quitting app in System Preferences. The document I want to open is in the Database Documents in the Startup window.

October 19, 2019 at 4:42 PM #37252

ct4
    Participant

I have checked in the Finder, and both these documents are in the TapForms Data/Documents folder

October 19, 2019 at 4:46 PM #37256

ct4
    Participant

Just a more detailed description on what is happening. If I open document 1 (the one I want to open on startup) and leave it open when I quit, then when I start, Document 2 (the one I don’t want) opens.

If I have no document open on quitting, then no document opens.

October 19, 2019 at 4:54 PM #37257

ct4
    Participant

It seems to be a problem with Document 2. If I open another Document (say Document 3), then if I have the Document 3 window open on quitting, then Document 3 opens on startup like you describe should happen. It is only with Document 1 that Tapforms always opens with Document 2.

October 20, 2019 at 12:32 AM #37261

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Stab in the dark idea here: can you go to the sync tab under preferences and copy the document ID for each of the documents and put them on the forum?

Tap Forms -> Preferences (Command + ,) -> Sync and then on the left side under the service list should be a ID like db-5af742cf299940b1b9ad32e7fae7ec41. Can you write down the document name and ID for each of the documents? I’m wondering if two documents have the same internal ID and that is messing something up.

October 20, 2019 at 8:39 AM #37264

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah yes. That’s probably the issue. Tap Forms re-opens documents based upon their internal Document ID. You can see that right on the main Database Documents list window by clicking on the (i) button to display the Document Info panel. The Document ID will be displayed there so you can use the arrow keys to select different documents and quickly see the internal Document ID. Compare them and you’ll see that if they’re identical, then Tap Forms will probably not open up the one you hope. You should have a different Document ID for each document.

When you create a new document, Tap Forms assigns a new, unique Document ID. But if you used the Finder to duplicate a document rather than the Duplicate Document command within Tap Forms, then you can get documents with the same internal Document ID, which should be avoided, especially if you’re syncing. Syncing documents uses the internal Document ID to be able to identify the documents in the cloud.

So this is probably the reason why the document you want isn’t re-opening.

You can either delete the one you don’t want if you don’t want it, or you’ll have to use the Duplicate Document command one one of them and then delete the one with the duplicate Document ID.

October 22, 2019 at 4:24 PM #37305

ct4
    Participant

Yes they did have the same name. I must have duplicated it to make a similar Document.
    However if I try to use the Duplicate Document Command in Tap forms, it is greyed out. See screen shot

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    October 22, 2019 at 4:28 PM #37307

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Try to duplicate it in the opening window where you can select the different documents.

October 22, 2019 at 4:42 PM #37308

ct4
    Participant

Ahh – that did it. Many thanks everyone for your help

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.