Mac: "Enable iCloud Sync" keeps unchecking itself

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Mac: "Enable iCloud Sync" keeps unchecking itself

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Spade Aceman
    Participant

I can’t remember how long, but recently I’d been needing to repeatedly reactivate iCloud Sync in the Mac version of Tap Forms whenever I wanted to sync my updates from my iPhone.

Today, however, it’s gotten to the point where the Mac version still doesn’t sync with my iPhone data no matter what I do – I’ve reset iCloud Sync from both devices more times now than I can remember.

For a while, the iCloud Sync “Registered Devices” section on the iPhone was still at least “seeing” the Mac, even if the Mac wasn’t “seeing” the iPhone at all and kept deactivating iCloud Sync. Unfortunately, now it’s to the point where neither device can see the other – the “Registered Devices” list on each device lists only itself, not the other device. Repeatedly pushing data from each device to iCloud does nothing to fix this.

Please advise how I can get sync to actually work again. (And any time you want to provide a local wifi sync option, that would be great!)

December 20, 2014 at 3:04 AM #12435

Brendan
    Keymaster

Have you tried rebooting your Mac and all your devices to see if that clears it up?

Also, type the following command into the Terminal application to see if the icloud-enabled setting is turned on:

defaults read com.tapforms.mac icloud-enabled 

It should print out 1 if it’s enabled. It should get set to 1 when you click the checkbox on the iCloud sync popover view.

You could try also:

defaults write com.tapforms.mac icloud-enabled 1

to force it to be on if for some reason (which I don’t know) that’s causing it not to be set.

December 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM #12438

LeoC2
    Participant

I have the same problem now. My Mac version wasn’t syncing so i tried all the methods posted here on the forums and no luck. No when i select “enable” in the sync popup all I get is nothing. I checked the terminal as suggested and do get a 1 in return.

To be honest, this is not the first time this has failed or stopped working. This unreliability is not acceptable and is really beginning to turn me off from this app. Last thing I need is to have this happen out in the field.

This is a very unstable program when it comes to syncing, others don’t seem to have this problem.

Leo

December 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM #12439

Spade Aceman
    Participant

Rebooting the Mac appears to have resolved the problem, thanks! I’m assuming something in Apple’s iCloud Drive sync process keeps getting “stuck”, which is why this issue keeps recurring. Any advice on what I can do to determine if iCloud sync is “stuck”?

Something that might be helpful for you to know: before rebooting, the “defaults read” step continued to show a value of “1” for icloud-enabled, even as the UI in the Mac app kept reverting the checkbox to an unchecked state upon relaunch. Not sure what was driving that behavior, but hopefully that helps you figure out what might have been happening behind the scenes (and, possibly, how to provide helpful feedback to the user when those kinds of sync issues are taking place).

Finally, I’d like to reiterate my vote for local wifi sync (or at least something involving local data transfer between devices) – I don’t care what cloud system is in use, it’s ridiculous to have to use some remote server somewhere that neither you nor I have any control over, just to get two devices to sync when they’re right next to each other in the same room!

Thanks for your continued work on a very useful app, I appreciate it!

December 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM #12440

LeoC2
    Participant

I finally got all device to show up on sync but only after jumping through hoops rebooting devices, reseting iCLoud sync, and resetting all encryptions. TWICE. Why do we have to do this? Why do we have to fear this “feature” rearing it’s ugly head in the middle of several devices collecting data out in the field?

This has me very nervous after going through this more than once now.

Leo

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.