Lost part of database and cannot restore from backup

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Lost part of database and cannot restore from backup

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Roger Neilson
    Participant

OK its been a week or so since I opened this database and the Mac had had a couple of restarts in that time, maybe one of them happened before Tapforms had completely shut down? Anyway some of the subsets on the database are now empty and should have lots of data in them.

No big deal I can restore form backup, haven’t lost much data. However when I go to select the Restore command its not available.

Roger

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 31, 2017 at 9:41 AM #20961

scneophyte
    Participant

Go to the Windows > “Database Documents” then File > “Restore”

I think the “Restore” is a backup of all the Forms in the database and not just a single form.

I’m curious what you are recording in your database…

January 31, 2017 at 12:03 PM #20964

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, the Restore command is only enabled when the main Database Documents window is the foreground window. It’s because you should close the document before trying to restore it. And also remove it from the list of documents before trying to restore it. I need to change that so it overwrites the old file. Right now it won’t do anything if the file exists. So getting it out of the way and then restoring it will solve this problem.

If there was a power failure or abrupt restart of the Mac then this can unfortunately cause the SQLite database file to become corrupted.

January 31, 2017 at 3:32 PM #20971

Roger Neilson
    Participant

Hmmm, so when I close the database so I only now have the top menu open – see attachment, I still do not have the Restore command at all. You are saying I need to remove the database in its entirety, which I can do, so I would then only have the sampleforms showing. How would that then trigger the restore command to be available?

Roger

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 31, 2017 at 3:34 PM #20973

Roger Neilson
    Participant

In reply to the curiosity. This is a massive wargame covering the whole of the Pacific War in daily moves. It allows me to pull together the intel and combat results and plan the forward activities of my forces….

Roger

January 31, 2017 at 6:58 PM #20976

scneophyte
    Participant

That’s really neat!

February 1, 2017 at 12:24 AM #20977

Roger Neilson
    Participant

Ok, located the back up I wanted to restore, deleted the database in TapForms (scary stuff that – thinking all of that might be lost) – and the Restore command was then available – so restored from back up. Lost a few days of data but I can re-input that. Much relief. Thanks

Roger

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.