Lost encryption password NEW

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

satman
    Participant

Now I know I am supposed to remember the password as instructed :-/ — anyway long story short I forgot and have tried uninstalling – reinistalling etc on the iphone to no avail.

Seems like there is cached info on the phone….it even remembers my lock out password.

Sooo, how do I completely uninstall so that I can reinstall and put a new encryption password?

I have uninstalled in the phone and via itunes, turned phone off then on and reinstalled – still no go.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Satman

August 6, 2011 at 12:32 AM #4707

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Satman,

If you tap-and-hold on the icon on your iPhone, you will uninstall Tap Forms from the phone. Then, go to the App Store and re-download it. You won’t be charged again. But doing this will delete all your data, so you should use iTunes File Sharing to make a backup of your database first.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 6, 2011 at 6:41 AM #4708

satman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

thanks for getting back so quick.

I did as instructed above to no avail.

The first time I run the app after an install it does, after the splash screen, display a message that states “upgrading database”. It disappears very quickly after that, and I get prompted for my pin passcode.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Satman.

August 6, 2011 at 6:48 AM #4709

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Satman,

This is odd. Are you talking about the 4 digit pin code? Or the encryption key? The pin code is stored in the secure keychain on the iPhone. When you delete an app, it deletes the keychain entries. So it’s odd that it’s asking you for your pin code. If it’s the encryption key that you’re being asked for and you’ve enabled full-database encryption, then there’s nothing that can be done to recover the data without entering the correct encryption key. But you would have had to have typed in the correct encryption key when you encrypted the database in the first place.

So, is it the 4 digit pin code or the encryption key that’s not working?

Thanks,

Brendan

August 6, 2011 at 8:08 AM #4710

satman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

sorry for not being clearer.

I cannot remember the encryption key. I know the 4 digit pin code.

I mentioned the pin code as it remembers that even after an uninstall and then reinstall – thought it may shed more light on it for you as to whats happening ie a splash screen saying upgrading the database then request for the pin code.

The database has not yet been encrypted however at some point earlier in the year I must have just set the encryption key and not really used it. Now I want to use it and cannot remember the key.

Any ideas?

Satman.

August 6, 2011 at 8:43 AM #4712

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Satman,

Ok, I understand now. But I’ve never heard of uninstalling not removing the encryption key and pin codes. Those are stored in the iOS keychain. When an app is uninstalled, the OS is supposed to remove keychain entries for uninstalled apps.

Could you try powering off the iPhone after you uninstall.

You shouldn’t be asked for the passcode after you re-installed the app. I’m assuming you have the latest iOS version?

Thanks,

Brendan

August 6, 2011 at 9:14 AM #4713

satman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

yes latest iOS and I did turn off and on again.

I have uninstalled in the phone and via itunes, turned phone off then on and reinstalled – still no go.

Wierd huh?

Satman.

BTW: am happy to loose the database as I have a backup in which there are no fields encrypted and the database has not been encrypted.

August 6, 2011 at 6:42 PM #4714

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Satman,

Ok, I’ve found the problem and I’m working on a fix. It turns out that when you delete an app, the OS does NOT remove the data in the keychain for that app. I read this is because multiple apps can share the same keychain information. As long as the apps are signed by the same developer certificate. Anyway, I’ll get it fixed and get a new deploy to Apple as soon as I can. I wish there was a workaround for the problem, but I don’t believe there is, short of reinstalling the entire phone.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 7, 2011 at 3:01 AM #4720

satman
    Participant

Fantastic that you have found the problem Brendan, good work!

Look forward to your fix.

Thanks again for your timely responses to my post.

Cheers,

Satman.

October 20, 2011 at 2:30 AM #4904

Vincent Malig
    Participant

Hi, Brendan. I have a problem regarding encryption key. When I updated my phone to iOS 5, I copied my sql data and retrieved it after I finished my update. However, my encryption key does not work anymore and I cannot open my database. Please help me because I have kept very important information in my tapforms. I hope you can suggest a solution to this.

October 20, 2011 at 2:44 AM #4905

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Vincent,

Sorry for this trouble you had when upgrading to iOS 5.

The first thing to do is to go to the Backup & Restore area in Tap Forms and tap on the “Create Backup File” button. Then copy the Tap Forms backup file to your computer using iTunes File Sharing: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4094

Does it say “Set Encryption Key” on the Security Settings screen in Tap Forms? If so, just tap on that and set it to the EXACT same encryption key you used before.

If you’re using full database encryption then what you should do is reset Tap Forms back to the default database. To do this you’ll need to either delete Tap Forms and re-download it from the App Store, or send me an email and I’ll send you a copy of the default database. Once you have that you’ll be able to get into Tap Forms again and you can then set your encryption key.

Then, you would copy your backup of your TapForms_db.sqlite file from your computer to Tap Forms and then you should be able to launch Tap Forms and get in. As long as that database was encrypted with the same key you used to reset the encryption key using the standard default database.

Let me know if you’re successful with this.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.