Location on map

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Andrew Jolly
    Participant

Using Mojave on a Mac laptop:

I have a field called Location with takes me to a map. It defaults always to where I am now, and only after many clicks on the mouse will it become moveable to where I want it to be. How can I make this much easier to use?

Also on the map it just shows as transparent circle which is very difficult to see – can that be changed? It’s a nice red pin on the iOS iPhone and iPad

On the iPhone and iPad the location is much easier to use.

December 20, 2020 at 12:34 AM #42911

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

You can change the default colour of the map location on the Preferences window in Tap Forms Mac 5. By default it should be red.

I just tested this with a new Location field and I was able to move the pin around easily with just one click and drag. However, I’m using Catalina at the moment for this test. I wonder if it’s an issue with Mojave though. I’m not sure as I don’t have Mojave for testing anymore.

December 20, 2020 at 4:33 PM #42915

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I tested this on Mojave (10.14.6) and when I open up the location field it started me fully zoomed out on the North American continent. It did find where I was and if I click on the targeting reticle again it zooms in on my location. I can click to drag the red dot without any issues and drag it around with clicking outside of the dot letting me pan around the map.

I do wonder if there is a lag because the maps I believe pulls down on the fly. On your phone, it’s more likely you already have that data downloaded and available already where as on the Mac it might not be readily accessible.

December 21, 2020 at 4:46 AM #42923

Andrew Jolly
    Participant

Hi

I’ve tried changing the colour under preferences but it won’t change on the one database document; the other document I have shows it as red. The location works quite well on the latter document that has been used for ages. But not on the new one created a few weeks ago.

December 21, 2020 at 12:16 PM #42926

Brendan
    Keymaster

There is one other thing that affects the colour of the pin.

If you have a Pick List set on a field and you use different colours for the different values, AND you’ve set the Record Colour Field property on the form to be that field with the Pick List, then Tap Forms will use that colour for the location pin. That gives you the ability to have different colours on the map to mean different things.

Maybe you have that setup but without any defined colours setup for the Pick List values?

August 5, 2023 at 10:29 AM #49737

Robert Emmons
    Participant

I have a database of various world facts and would like to be able to see a complete map of the world with all of my data points shown at the same time. Is there anyway to have all the flagged database records depicted on one map that I could use to navigate between these various records?

August 5, 2023 at 7:12 PM #49738

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

Yes you can do this. But only on the Mac version. There’s a Map View you can select and Tap Forms will show you all the locations on the map. And when you click on a pin, the record associated with that pin will be displayed.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 6, 2023 at 5:42 PM #49739

Robert Emmons
    Participant

Outstanding. I have been able to create categories of different color for points of economic, political and cultural interest around the world to help me keep it an updated database of important events. Really appreciate the clarification and your excellent work on this database.

August 6, 2023 at 6:49 PM #49740

Brendan
    Keymaster

That’s great to hear Robert!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.