Location Field – List/Search "Near Me"

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

1Levite
    Participant

TF 4.0.3

I’m beginning to build up a set of records having a “location” field. These are remote forest locations defined primarily using the location decimal coordinates (no valid/useful street address). I only have about 100 records at the moment, but can see an emerging need for searching/listing of existing records by location.

It appears that we cannot set up a search rule using a location field (OSX or iOS).

If I was standing in the forest, I’d like to know what existing nearby locations are in my set of records.

I’m not proficient in the GPS/GIS world. Has anybody figured out a workaround that would accomplish this record list/search? I note that other Forum Topics have dealt with potential future alternative list functions using maps, which would be really useful in this instance. Until that happens, any ideas for searching for records “near me” using existing TF functionality?

November 1, 2015 at 2:52 PM #15117

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi 1Levite,

I am actually working on that and have it mostly completed for Tap Forms Mac. I haven’t begun working on it for iOS though. It will be in my big upgrade coming out next year (hopefully in around 6 months or so).

Thanks,

Brendan

November 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM #15118

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh, and it does show you a map with 1 pin per location in your records (you can even colour code them via the Pick List value colour mechanism). It does a search by location via the zoom level of the map. So the closer you are zoomed into the map, the fewer records will be displayed. So although it doesn’t do a “show me all records within 5 kilometres”, it does do a “show me all records within this area on the map” sort of thing. It’s really cool!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.