Linking to file on disk

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Bert Rietveld
    Participant

When I put in a (website) field the file reference for a file on my disk (generated by snagpath) I get the message: “The application “Tap Forms Mac 5” does not have permission to open “filename”.
    That particular file has read/write access for everyone.
    Can this be solved?

May 21, 2019 at 9:10 PM #34928

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bert,

In the next update, Tap Forms will simply take you to the file in the Finder if it’s not able to open it. It’s actually a macOS security restriction with sandboxed apps that’s causing that problem.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 21, 2019 at 9:15 PM #34929

Brendan
    Keymaster

Or you could use a File Attachment field which is able to handle the security issue properly because when you attach an alias to the file, Tap Forms uses the open dialogue window to request the file. By doing that, you’re granting Tap Forms permission to open the file. From then on, Tap Forms can open the file. But with a website address field you’re just using a URL without having had to go through the open dialogue window that resolves the security issue.

So that’s why this is the case right now. But with the update, the Finder will take you to the file and then you can double-click on the file in the Finder to open it. Not super ideal, but I don’t know how to get around the security issue with direct URLs.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 22, 2019 at 6:40 AM #34931

Bert Rietveld
    Participant

An Alias will work. Thanks!
    There are apps where this works (e.g. Evernote). It comes up with a dialogue box “You are about to open local file “/Users/bert/Documents/Outdoors/…………pdf”. Are you sure you want to open this file?
    and then opens it.

Bert

May 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM #34932

Brendan
    Keymaster

Does it ever ask you to locate a file there first before you can add links to them?

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.