linking just one field instead of the whole form

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms linking just one field instead of the whole form

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Gilles Libert
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Let me frase first what I would like to do with TF and what I tried. Correct me if my understanding of the actual working of TF is wrong.
    I have a parrent form with 4 fields. I created child1 which is linked in a many to many way to the parrent form. I chose the fields 1 and 2. I have child2 which is linked to tha same parrent in a many to many way. Now I would like to choose fields 3 and 4. When doing this It looks that this changes the child1 fields in the link form. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

What would really be awesome is the possibility to link fields from one form to other forms. This without being a table…
    ie: The parrent form has 4 fields. In child 1 I need the content of field 1 from the parrent form, this resulting in field 1 on child 1. (without the table)
    This would be independent from other childs linking other fields from the parrent form.
    Another thing would be the possebility to create child 3 which links to field 1 from child 1 and gets the content from the parrent form.(child from a child from a parrent)

This would take Tapforms to the next level!

Keep on going with the good work!

Thanks, Gilles

May 9, 2015 at 11:04 PM #13631

Frank Tikket
    Participant

I’ve been asking for this myself… My understand that all true databases run this method your talking about. My initial solution was having one field in each form (that I was updating on both forms) – well that didn’t work-data wasn’t being updated manually. So I scraped the whole relational database tap forms offers and put all my forms into one master form and utilized section headings with smart searches-so far a great workaround.

Example:(If data in section 3 {aka child form 3} is not empty then spit out results showing all child form 3 via smart search….. This seems to work the best for me.

In the end, all I wanted was my child forms to update fields from the parent form. Basically if the parent form had a customer with a dollar amount as an identifier, if I made a child form for the same customer describing their service details …. I did not want to look up and put the same “dollar amount” again… Even though I want to be able to see this relational information when looking at the customers service detail “child form”. I basically wanted it to pull the “dollar amount” from the parent form automatically. (Probably a lame analogy; but I use my tap forms for managing sales clients and service dates)

May 10, 2015 at 1:45 AM #13636

Gilles Libert
    Participant

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your input. I highly apreciate it!
    I thought about the smart searches and I use them, but for other purposes. The thing is that I just have several parents and child forms linking to each other… I have situations where a child gets links from two parents…
    I also have way to many layouts (letters and labels for printing, custom views showing only data needed for a certain purpose,…)

Thanks, Gilles

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.