Linking Forms and Selecting Data

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I am trying to set up a Social Media Planner for my business which includes blog posts and other forms of social media. I set up a calender file and a theme file.The Calender is for planning when to release the posts, the Theme is for editorial use.

I want to be able to let the theme entries show up in my calendar file. I can link from the calendar to the theme file, but I cannot select from the themes, it creates a new entry. That isn’t what I want.

I would like to be able to work up themes for posting and then connect it into my calendar. The calendar dates might get switched around. Or I might just delete one or change the date, or media outlet etc.

Linking from the calendar has created an extra back link within Themes.

Did I put the cart before the horse?
    Should I use the Themes to be the parent file?

Thanks for your help.
    Regards,
    Kimberley

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 10, 2019 at 11:48 PM #33970

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kimberly,

If you click on the checkmark button at the bottom of your Link to Form field then you can select from already created child records. The + and +-> arrow buttons are for adding new child records. The checkmark button is for selecting child records that you previously created in the linked form.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Brendan

March 11, 2019 at 1:46 AM #33971

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Yes, it felt strange, but I created a dummy entry in Themes and was subsequently able to add that to my Calendar file using the + and +-> buttons.

So to help my head understand the possibilities of using parent/child themes:
    • You can create a child entry by clicking in the parent file and linking into the child file. A blank entry will automatically be created which I need to populate with information
    • You can create a child entry originating in the child file and selecting that from the parent file.
    In both cases the parent file will create a reference in the child file. (Is that correct?)

Thanks.

Regards,
    Kimberley

March 11, 2019 at 5:38 PM #33975

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s all correct

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.