Linked forms and importing records

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Victor Warner
    Participant

I have a database will several forms. Some of them use Linked to Form fields.

Form 1 with Linked to Form field to Form 2

I need to import a number of records from CSV files into Form 2. But then, to be linked to the relevant record in Form 1 I have to link, one-by-one, each of the imported records.

Is there a way to automatically link them to the relevant record in Form 1, either during the import or after the import?

Using Version 5.3.10 (Build 1832), macOS 10.15.2.

January 23, 2020 at 10:54 AM #39343

Daniel Leu
    Participant

With record.addRecordToField() you can link records from a script. The challenge might be to identify matching records.

On the other hand, you might be able to define the linked forms using the link type ‘join’. This way the linking is automatic. This works well if both forms have a common reference ID.

January 23, 2020 at 12:37 PM #39344

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I use Link to Form with the JOIN type for cross matching data that comes in. I have one case where I have an ID for a box that will be scanned in via a barcode reader and then other records include this ID and are automatically populated into the Link to Form field. It’s a simple pattern because you use two regular fields (e.g. text or maybe number) and then you can add the Link to Form afterwards and Tap Forms will automatically join based on those two fields.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.