Linked form – link children as well as adult

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Linked form – link children as well as adult

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

daffy
    Participant

Hi, I have a form for keeping an inventory of my fabric stash. Some fabric has a main pattern and also a matching coordinate. For example a main pattern of a unicorn print with a striped version in matching colours. It could also be a fabric panel that matches the main fabric.

In the example I am looking at now I have a main fabric with four coordinates. I have added all five fabrics to my form and from the main fabric I have linked to the other four (the coordinates) from the same form. (See image 1)

When I view the record for one of the coordinates it only shows the parent (the main fabric) but I would like to be able to see all five fabrics from any of those five records. Is this possible?

I’ve tried searching and reading the manual, but not too sure what to look for.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 5, 2018 at 7:01 PM #26873

Brendan
    Keymaster

A child can only see its own parent record(s), not those of its siblings or of its parent’s siblings.

Is this a one-to-many or a many-to-many?

January 6, 2018 at 6:50 AM #26879

daffy
    Participant

I get you. Is there a way to enable this so they can be seen somehow? The adult record is not really ‘above’ the child records, they are linked in a linear way rather than a hierarchal one. I just need to see which fabrics match for when I’m planning a new sewing project.

I have it set as many-to-many, but I’m not 100% sure if I’ve chosen correctly. I keep reading the manual about these options but I find it quite hard to get my head around it. :(

January 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM #26884

Brendan
    Keymaster

Is your parent form and your Link to Form the same form? If so, then that’s a reflexive relationship. The Show Inverse Relationship function doesn’t really work in that situation. Also it’s not really needed because the same field would show both sides of the relationship anyway. But maybe that’s not what you have.

Relationships are always hierarchical. I guess it’s just how you think about it. If you’re linking to the same form, then some records are parents of other records, even if they come from the same form.

Many-to-many is required if a record can have multiple parents and multiple children. That is, you can link to the same record from many different parent records. With a one-to-many relationship, a record can have only one parent at a time.

January 9, 2018 at 2:18 PM #26918

daffy
    Participant

Hi, yes, they are on the same form. I remember it all going wrong when I tried inverse relationship last time, so I haven’t done it this time!

Thank you for the explanation, I’m understanding a bit better now.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.