Linked fields not there in multi column

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

John Harris
    Participant

Hi there,

I am having trouble with one issue. Linked fields appear in the single column layout but not the multi-column layout. For example: I have linked students from my student table to a project in the project table. The students appear in the single column view but not the multi-column view.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

With thanks – John

January 13, 2016 at 4:09 PM #15681

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

You should see only a Link From Form field appear in the multi-column list view. Not a Link to Field. Well you will probably see it there, but empty. It’s because I couldn’t fit a possible list of linked records in that single cell. But if it’s a Link From Field, then it should show the value there. A Link From Field gets auto-created for you when you enable the Show Inverse Relationship function. The Link From Field also has to be generated from a one-to-many relationship, not a many-to-many.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 14, 2016 at 2:35 AM #15685

John Harris
    Participant

Hi Brendon,

I’d love to get my my single and double layouts displaying the same content. Showing all linked fields. The problem is that when go to create a LINK FROM the one-to-many dialog disappears!

I understand that you can’t have many-to-many in a single cell. What I’m not understanding is how to get one-to-one linking working. After I create the linking table, It’s not showing the tick which allows the me to cross over.

If a LINK FROM Field is auto-created when I enable the Show Inverse Relationship function then a LINK TO (with inverse) is the same as a LINK FROM correct? So I don’t really understanding the purpose of a LINK FROM, it seems redundant. And for me quite confusing. Especially as the LINK FROM doesn’t appear allow me to create an one-to-one relationship.

My process is clearly wrong here and I’d appreciate your help.

Best – John

January 14, 2016 at 2:56 AM #15687

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Don’t manually create a Link From field. Let Tap Forms do it for you when you enable the Show Inverse Relationship function. If you’ve created one, then delete it. Let Tap Forms do it for you.

The purpose of the field is to link back to the parent form from the child form that you’re linking to. You only need to create the Link to Form field.

There’s no “one to one” Link Type. You have only the choice of a One to Many or a Many to Many.

I think the confusion is caused because I have that Link From Form field type there which should never be created manually. It’s only there to show the field type when you auto-create it by enabling the inverse relationship.

Hope that’s not too confusing.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM #15701

John Harris
    Participant

Hi Brendon,

Thank you for your last post. I meant to say one-to-many not one-to-one sorry.
    I’m in the zone now – I’ve got my head around inverse links. This is a powerful and beautiful thing Brendon – which can be used for good – and evil.
    You have given me the weapon to take over the world.
    Wah Ha Ha.
    John

January 19, 2016 at 2:52 AM #15703

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Always happy to help with one’s ruling ambitions :-)

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.