Linked field display

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Brantome
    Participant

Hi, just bought the IPad version to set up a database of artworks I’ve liked on my trips to various galleries/ museums. However, if I take the artwork itself to be the parent form, I’d like to be able to choose from a list of artists and museums I.e. I saw this painting by Monet at the Royal Academy where it was on loan from its owner the Musee D’Orsay. I tried setting up Artist and Museum as child forms, but the chosen value(s) don’t get displayed on the Artwork form, just a count box. Picking list choices are displayed (even multiple choices), so why not for linked fields? Picking lists aren’t sufficient for me in this case as I will want to record other details about the Artist and Museum on their own form. Also, linked fields could be more powerful if you could choose which field on the linked form you wanted to display, like a sort of Vlookup I saw requested in another post.

Also, I’d then like to be able to browse my records say by artist, exhibiting or owning museum from the list screen without having to go thru the Customise Form menu – couldn’t that ‘sort view’ option be directly available on that view?

Finally, I’d like to be able to browse the Museum form to see what works from there I’ve viewed, but would this need me to manually have a linked field back to the Artwork form and re-link even although there’s a link already from the artwork to museum form? Dare say I could achieve this simply by changing the browse order on the Artwork form…

Thanks

December 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM #8020

Brantome
    Participant

Hi, I’ve had some time now to google the forum more and see that this question (or something similar) has been posted several times before, going back a year or two. It would appear that others have been asking for such to be implemented – do you have any plans/ timescales as to when it might appear? Even in the scenario where several child records are linked, couldn’t their (selected) fields be displayed in an expanding Notes type field? I realise this might cause more issues in the list view as it might preclude the parent linked field being used as a display/sort key.

Guess what I’m looking for is a picking list that can be fed from a form rather than a single column table…

Cheers

December 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM #8021

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Brantome,

Thanks for the feature requests. Adding an inverse relationship is on my to-do list for an update following my 2.0 update. As for being able to display the list of records selected right within the linked form, this is something that can be done now on the Mac version. And 2.0 makes that better with the ability to configure which fields you want to display there. I may bring that feature to the iOS version at some point.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.