Link to Form function

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

ukmrossi
    Participant

I can understand the usage of the link to form function, but I’m cant see how you can link existing records. In the example you provided about linking actors to a movie, I’ve setup my actors and I’m now adding a new movie. In the field which links to the actors form it takes me to the search engine and I find the actor, but I cant see any field to link it. When you select the actor it just takes you into the actor record but there The + button works if I want to create a number actor record, but how do I link an existing record ? Sorry if I’m missing something obvious.

April 12, 2010 at 8:14 PM #4035

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Ukmrossi,

Tap Forms doesn’t yet link existing records. Only new records. I have built a one-to-many relationship for now. What you are expecting is a many-to-many relationship, where you can just select from a list of existing records to associate with multiple fields inside multiple records.

I have built the foundation for that, but not the user interface. It is in the works.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM #4036

ukmrossi
    Participant

Actually I’m happy with a one to many or even a one to one relationship but I just want to be able to link existing records. I’m actually using a product link to a sales order and in that instance its always a one to one link as each product is unique, but I’ve got some historical data I want to load which is easier to upload and then link rather than create manually. I guess I’ll have to wait, thanks for the prompt reply.

April 12, 2010 at 8:33 PM #4037

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can also import from a CSV to have them link to the field automatically. On the screen that displays the linked records, tap the action menu and select “Import Records”. Tap Forms will show you the list of files inside the “Imports” folder from the Files tab. If you import records from that point, Tap Forms will automatically link them to the master record’s field you were viewing.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 19, 2010 at 4:10 PM #4047

rgmundy
    Participant

I can seem to figure out how this works. Is there a detailed help on how the one-to-one and one-to-many relationship works.

April 19, 2010 at 4:31 PM #4048

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello rgmundy,

Can you tell me what you’ve tried so far? Basically all you do is add a field, select “Link to Form” as the field type, and then when you edit a record, you’ll see your linked form with a 0 beside it to begin with. Tapping on that will take you to the list of records that are linked to that field. There will be no records to begin with. You tap the + button to start adding new records.

That’s pretty much all there is to it.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 21, 2010 at 1:40 AM #4049

rgmundy
    Participant

Thanks for the help. I followed what you said and it does work.

I was wondering if it will be possible in the future to link to a form and pull in a certain field on the form and adding it to the field on the current newly created record?

April 21, 2010 at 6:37 AM #4053

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Rgmundy,

I will be adding a many-to-many relationship option for the Link to Form field type in a future update. That will let you pick from a set of records in the linked to form. You will be able to pick the same records for any form, record, and field that you’ve linked from.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.