Link to Form field

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I appreciate very much the development of “our” database.

But I didn’t really get the point with this new feature. Your explanation means that if I have ten movies with e.g. Angelina Jolie as actrice I need to have ten records with her in my Actors database. So if I want to add detailed information on Angelina Jolie I need to do this ten times?

I hope I am wrong. I tried the new feature with my form of classical opera (245 records) and wanted to connect with composer-form and soloist-form and I don’t want to add Mozart 26x for all his operas in my opera form.

Could you please explain the advantage of this feature for my purposes. Maybe I have to wait for the possibility of a many-to-one-relationship.

Greetings

Klaus

P.S. How does your example work when I want to connect an opera with several soloists?

April 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM #4023

UWS_CIA
    Participant

Better example below.

April 9, 2010 at 6:47 PM #4028

Brendan
    Keymaster

I have implemented what’s called a “one-to-many” relationship. What that means is a single master record can be associated with many detail records from another form. However, those records that are linked to the master form cannot be linked to any other records.

What you are referring to is a “many-to-many” relationship. I intend on adding this relationship type, but I have not had a chance to do so yet. I am releasing one feature at a time. A many-to-many relationship would require the ability to select from an existing set of records available in the linked form and to keep track of those in a separate database table. I have setup the foundation for this type of relationship in my code, but I have not yet built the necessary user interface to make it possible. Patience… it’s coming… :-)

The one-to-many type of relationship is very useful if you want to keep track of a bunch of things off your master record. An example might be keeping a log of activities leading up to an event. The event being the master record and the log of activities being the detail records. Or keeping track of grades awarded to your students for various assignments for a course.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM #4029

UWS_CIA
    Participant

So a better example of this would be.

Step 1 : Create Database Called “Invoices”

– Add Fields : “Check mark” = Paid, Company, Invoice #, Amount, Due Date

Step 2 : Create Database Called “Bills”

– Add Field : Company, Account #, Ect, Ect.

– Add a “Link Form” Field to the “Invoices” DB

Step 3 : Add records to “Bills” DB

– Shaw

– Telus

– Hydro

– Gas

– Rogers

– Ect.

Viewing the “Invoices” DB allows you to see a list of all the bills from each company.

So now I have a log of all my bills and can keep track of which ones i’ve paid…

Now if we could only get that “cal” field so we could add up how much we spend.

April 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM #4024

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Brendan,

thanks a lot for your immediate reply and the perspective to have the feature I need in the future. I will be patient… :-)

April 9, 2010 at 11:12 PM #4025

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hey UWS_CIA,

You’ve got it exactly right!

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.