Link to dates in form

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

matt coxon
    Participant

Hi , is it possible to create a simple project plan with date dependencies . So if I change a date in a task the link tasks date changes automatically.

All in one form with no linked forms

Thanks
    Matt

July 27, 2021 at 10:21 PM #44870

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I don’t think there is an easy way to do this, or even a hard way for that matter.

The feature you’d need is self linking forms and whilst it sort of works, it only does so for M:M links when for this you’re building a tree like structure that would be 1:M. I got something sort of working with two link to form fields but it was janky and didn’t quite work the way I’d like and would still put the parent record in the child section. That would mean a second form to store the links and likely a bunch of scripting to replicate the TF record picker. Not impossible and with a lot of work, you could build the linking infrastructure you’d need to make it work and then once you’ve got that a moderately complex script field could push the update.

July 27, 2021 at 10:29 PM #44871

matt coxon
    Participant

Hi Sam, thanks for replying. I’ll put it on the way too difficult shelf for me and move on
    Thanks
    Matt

July 28, 2021 at 1:31 AM #44873

Brendan
    Keymaster

I wonder if a Table field would be ideal for this sort of thing?

Do you mean that if you change a date on the Parent record, all the linked records would have their dates updated? So if the parent field had a Project Start Date and the Table field had a Task Start Date, if you change the Project Start Date to something later, the Task Start Date for each task would also change?

If so, then a Script field would certainly be able to do this. Just loop through all the Table field records and update the Task Start Date depending on the Project Start Date.

I don’t know if it would be all that difficult. And doesn’t use a Linked form, although a Table field is similar to a Link to Form field in the way it displays. It just doesn’t have a separate form for it. The sub-fields are all configured on the Table field itself.

But maybe I’m misunderstanding the requirement.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 2, 2021 at 2:40 PM #44895

matt coxon
    Participant

Thanks Brendan, I’ll have a look into it further based on your reply
    Thanks
    Matt

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.