Let's talk about Scripting in Tap Forms 5!

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Script Talk Let's talk about Scripting in Tap Forms 5!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hey Everyone,

It was suggested to me that it would be a good idea to have a separate Scripting forum on my website.

Well, here it is.

This is the place to be if you want to post useful scripts to make Tap Forms do things you never thought possible.

If you’re unfamiliar with scripting in Tap Forms, please see the Scripting topics in the online user manual here:

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/scripts

and the Tap Forms specific JavaScript API docs are here. These are the functions you can call within a Tap Forms script that do things specific to Tap Forms, such as fetching a set of records, reading field values, setting field values, and updating the database.

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/javascript-api

It’ll be great to see what kinds of scripts you can come up with to make Tap Forms more powerful than ever.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 27, 2020 at 8:47 AM #39355

Jose Monteiro
    Participant

Ok.

I’m not sure if this question should be asked in this forum.
    If not I apologize and please let me know.

Suppose you have a form with thousands records.
    In my case I had a form on my mac with 12002 records.
    Then I found that on my iPhone I had only 12000 records; 2 records missing.

Syncing problems with iCloud I guess.

I need an easy way to identify the missing records.
    Any idea?

Jose

January 28, 2020 at 2:35 AM #39371

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jose,

One way to handle this would be to export your records as a CSV file from both devices and use a diffing app such as Kaleidoscope or BBEdit to see the differences. Then you’d be able to identify the two extra records. Then make a small modification to them and they should sync across.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 28, 2020 at 11:03 AM #39372

Jose Monteiro
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Meanwhile I’ve been thinking on how to solve this issue and found one using only TapForms.

What I did:

I created one more field on my mac, a Check Mark field to make it simple.
    Then I wrote a small script that would turn on the Check Mark on all records.
    Running this script on the iPhone would turn on the Check Mark field on the 12000 records, and the sync feature would turn on this field on the mac.
    Then with a saved search, searching for the unchecked Check Mark field on the mac I was able to identify the 2 missing records on the iPhone.
    Checkmarking those 2 missing fields on the mac would sync them with the iPhone.
    Then I could delete this checkmark field but I decided to keep it.

Jose

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.