Layout Text – Object id

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

alang
    Participant

Text can be placed on a Form as part of the layout using the “A” icon labeled: “Add text to your layout”. Is there a way to get an object id of that text object. This would be to change the text via scripting as you do with regular form objects. Thank you.

• This topic was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by alang.
    May 29, 2023 at 1:22 PM #49498

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alang,

No, that’s not possible at the moment. I have not exposed an API to get access to the layout items displayed on a custom layout.

What sorts of things do you want to do with them? Just change the text?

Thanks,

Brendan

May 29, 2023 at 1:49 PM #49499

alang
    Participant

There are various cases where a form level indicator would be useful. It might be by text, by color, even by the presence or not of some object or something else. All would be different ways of indicating some kind of status or other information that applies at the application level. I am being general for purposes of discussion but the particular (and not terribly interesting) use at the moment is overall status information for a task tracker I am using Tap Forms for. And there are certainly a variety of ways I can and am implementing this. But it might be interesting to wonder how widely useful such an API would be. As always, thank you for your reply and clarification. And I appreciate the chance to have the idea mentioned.

May 31, 2023 at 11:15 AM #49517

Brendan
    Keymaster

One benefit of exposing the API I could see is to use JavaScript code to build a custom layout by setting the coordinates, height, width, font settings, and so on. That would be an interesting idea too.

May 31, 2023 at 11:25 AM #49519

alang
    Participant

Yes, absolutely. And very consistent with the overall nature (as I see it) of Tap Forms providing extensive abilities directly and tremendously more with minimal coding.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by alang.
    May 31, 2023 at 2:39 PM #49521

Daniel Leu
    Participant

One benefit of exposing the API I could see is to use JavaScript code to build a custom layout by setting the coordinates, height, width, font settings, and so on. That would be an interesting idea too.

That’s something I’ve been thinking about. This would be a way to visually show the progress of actions (quoted, P.O. received, parts ordered, in production, shipped, invoiced, paid) like changing the color of certain graphic elements, like big arrows, squares, rectangles, etc.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Daniel Leu.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Brendan.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Brendan.
    June 1, 2023 at 1:38 PM #49527

Brendan
    Keymaster

Sorry for editing your post Daniel. I was just trying to see if the html quote tag would work for quoting. It didn’t do anything, so I put it back.

The one problem with showing a progress by manipulating layout items is that layout items have the same properties no matter what record you’re viewing. So that might not work as expected for that concept.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.