layout: show field title as placeholder

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Jim Newberry
    Participant

I’m creating a new layout with lots of fields, and would prefer not to type out the name for each field, I’d like to use the existing names. In the layout section I see a checkbox that says: “show field title as placeholder,” but as far as I can tell it isn’t doing anything.

Is there a way to automatically have field titles show in new layouts, or must I type them out?

June 13, 2018 at 8:57 PM #29068

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jim,

You don’t have to create the field labels yourself. Just enable the “Create Label” checkbox button below the list of Fields. When you drag a field over, Tap Forms will automatically create a label for you so you don’t have to type them out yourself.

The “Show field title as placeholder” is functional when there’s no value in the field. You’ll see the placeholder inside the field. As soon as you type a value into the field, the title will disappear and whatever you type in will show.

Thanks!

Brendan

June 14, 2018 at 9:31 AM #29070

Jim Newberry
    Participant

Hi Brendan:

Ah, that helps, thanks!

June 15, 2018 at 9:12 AM #29088

tonyt
    Participant

Hi
    Where can I find the “Show field title as placeholder” facility as I would like to use it for some of my forms. I have looked through the various panels and done a forum and help file search – no luck!
    Cheers….
    tonyt

June 15, 2018 at 12:51 PM #29091

Brendan
    Keymaster

It’s on the Layout Inspector panel when you have a field selected on your custom layout.

June 16, 2018 at 5:51 PM #29134

Allan Honey
    Participant

I really like the way the placeholder text gets smaller when you select the field.

Is it possible to have a setting so it’s always small??

Alternatively – have it with a opacity (or colour or style) so I can identify what is and what isn’t a placeholder at a glance??

– Allan

June 16, 2018 at 8:57 PM #29140

Brendan
    Keymaster

It’s supposed to be grey in colour so it looks like a placeholder, but clearly that’s not behaving right. I’m looking into it.

June 16, 2018 at 9:28 PM #29141

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve fixed it for the next update. It’ll now show a nice complementary colour variation depending on the field’s background fill colour. See attachments for examples.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    June 16, 2018 at 9:37 PM #29145

Allan Honey
    Participant

EXCELLENT!

I do remember it being grey…. a few versions back!

June 16, 2018 at 9:48 PM #29147

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, I remember changing it because the grey didn’t work when you had different background colours. Now Tap Forms is smart about the background colour and gives you different placeholder colours depending on the background.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.