Layout Design Does Not Print

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Charlie Michelson
    Participant

My custom layout does not print. Instead, the default with a sequential order of fields selected to print is what is printed. How do I force my layout to print?

December 20, 2015 at 3:45 PM #15501

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Charlie,

Try selecting the Default Layout, then select your custom layout and then choose the Print command. Tap Forms passes the layout to the print panel when you have a custom layout selected. It should notice that.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 21, 2015 at 6:16 PM #15504

Charlie Michelson
    Participant

Thank you for the suggeestion but it does not work. I tried many combinations of
    1. Layout mode / Not Layout mode
    2. Single record in custom form / Table above and single record in custom form below
    3. Design for Printer / Design for Screen
    I get the same 7 sequential fields on a single line and nothing more, but the custom form has 6 fields on first line and 3 fields on second line.
    I tried quitting Tap Forms and reopening. Same story as above.
    Other suggestions?

I am running OSX 10.11.2 on an iMac Retina 4k, 21.5 inch, late 2015
    Tap Forms 3.5.10

December 21, 2015 at 9:19 PM #15506

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Charlie,

Can you please try clicking on the “Table of records” print layout on the Print sheet? Then click back on the Details button under Print layout to see if that fixes the issue.

I haven’t been able to reproduce this issue on my Mac yet however. Every time I select a custom layout then select Print from the File menu, I get the correctly selected layout printed.

So I’m a bit perplexed.

January 10, 2016 at 3:53 PM #15632

Charlie Michelson
    Participant

I made progress by:
    1. Deselecting a non-printing field in the Print>Fields box.
    2. Selecting Multi-column list view in the View dual icon.

However, the spacing of fields seems to be controlled by the spreadsheet style display at top of page, not the custom layout. Is this correct? Maybe there is no need to do a custom design for a list view. It also may not be possible. Can you comment?

Secondly, is a multi-line list report possible? An example is a three line name and address record that uses the entire paper width. If possible can you point out how?

January 10, 2016 at 7:22 PM #15637

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can’t design a custom list view printout using the custom layout feature. At least not one that has a header and footer.

You can adjust the height of the rows that print out and if there’s more text than will fit in the width of the column, the text will be wrapped around. So basically there’s small, medium, and large height rows. You should see that option on the Print sheet.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 11, 2016 at 5:10 PM #15651

Charlie Michelson
    Participant

Thank you for reply. I think I can design accordingly. Wraparound works for me. Continuing with my starter database:

1. How do I adjust the font size in list view?

2. Is a report header possible in list view?

Reflecting, I think that Tap Forms has the approach of “a form and find” vs. “a list and look.”

January 11, 2016 at 5:54 PM #15652

Ron
    Participant

Another issue with printing a custom layout is the linked records list. With a custom layout the linked records list does not expand to show all records, but the default layout when printed will expand and show all the linked records.

Ron

January 12, 2016 at 3:01 AM #15660

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Charlie,

1. There’s no function for adjusting the fonts on the “Table of records” list view when printing nor when viewing the multi-column list view.

2. There are section headers that are displayed. You can turn them on or off. By default they should be on and they appear normally with a letter or a date or a word depending on what your First Sort Field and Group Records By settings are.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 12, 2016 at 6:37 PM #15671

Charlie Michelson
    Participant

Thanks again. I am not able to get Section Headings to work.

My First Sort Field is “Sort A.” My Group Records By is “Sort A.” In Default Layout>Single-column list view the words “Section Heading” appears but there is nothing to the right. Clicking through the records does nothing to make a section heading value appear. In Multi-column list view, when I Print Table of records and Open PDF in Preview, there is no grouping by section. What can you suggest?

January 12, 2016 at 7:52 PM #15672

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Charlie,

The section headings don’t print on the Table of records output. But you should see them in the list of records both in single and multi-column list view. You really don’t need to sort and group by the same field though, since grouping by the field also sorts it in whatever direction you’ve specified.

If you want a Section heading within a record, you can add a Section Heading field to your form. They will display on the Default Layout.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 14, 2016 at 10:22 AM #15689

Charlie Michelson
    Participant

I understand the first sentence above, But, I was not succcessful in following yur guidance on printing section headings (not record list headings). Since I do not have a pressing need I will place this discussion on hold. Thank you for your help.

I did discover how to get a report heading at top of page. Since most headings that would differ from the name of the file are the result of saved searches, and I see that saved searches will have the search name appended to the name of file, and that that “file name:saved search name” will be printed at top of page, that will satisfy my needs.

Thanks again.

Charlie

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.