Latitude, Longitude

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Oldmanwheeler
    Participant

I need to create a field for both Latitude and Longitude using the decimal format (i.e. 43.568457, -95.8816548) and then have a third field show a map of that location.

Can this be done using Tap Form and if so how?

Thanks

August 6, 2015 at 6:04 PM #14401

1Levite
    Participant

Hi Oldmanwheeler:

Using TF for mac V3.5.3, I was building a form, using coordinates like 56°37’10.80″ N, 3°51’53.12″ W. I defined a field of type “Location” and inserted the coordinates. I gave it a try with the decimal format as you are wanting (43.568457, -95.8816548) and had to enter the decimal coordinates and “save” in the popup window. Once I did that, the decimal coordinates worked fine. I did note that the “Location” field sometimes converted the decimal entry to a physical address. I copy/pasted the decimal values back in the field, and they stuck. Can’t comment on how to do it if you’re using the OSX version. Hope this helps.

1Levite

August 6, 2015 at 8:38 PM #14402

Oldmanwheeler
    Participant

Thank you 1Levite. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow and see if it works on OS x. I appreciate your response.

Oldmanwheeler

August 7, 2015 at 8:05 AM #14405

1Levite
    Participant

Oops… I made a mistake in previous post–I should have stated “Can’t comment on how to do it if you’re using the iOS version”. I tried it in iOS today and see that maps behave very differently from the mac version. Especially when you use the “Location” field type and if you try to define a specific GPS coordinate. I got it it work, but had to understand how TF behaved first. Here are a couple observations:

a. If you got to Settings>General>Restrictions>Location Services and scroll down to TF there is an App explanation stating “This is required for saving your current location to your Location field”. I guess Brendan anticipated that most people would want to auto-populate the Location field type with the current location, not some specific location other than the current location.
    b. If the location field in your record has no coordinates and TF Location services in iOS is “ON”, maps will automatically populate the field with your current location. Just as the app explanation stated.
    c. If I then try to change the coordinates in TF, there is no change in the map location. Apparently, once you populate the field there is no changing it unless you delete the location and restart with a blank Location field.
    d. So, it appears if I want to enter a specific location that is not my current location, I need to (1) turn off location services in Settings for TF (2) return to my form and enter the location field. (3) if there are existing coordinates shown, delete the map location using the trashcan and TF returns you to the form with an empty Location field (4) press the empty location field, but because Location Services is off, TF is unable to obtain a current location in the map. Press OK in the popup (5) using Search at the bottom right type in your specific decimal coordinates and search–your coordinates put me in Southern Minnesota. (6) Press save and the Location field is populated with a physical address and the decimal coordinates. From this point on, you may have Location Services on, and it won’t affect existing GPS coordinates in the field.

The auto population with current location is a pretty nifty feature. You could use it to document the best fishing locations in the 10,000 lakes of MN while you’re sitting in the boat!

August 8, 2015 at 1:28 AM #14415

Brendan
    Keymaster

Just to chime in on this. Even after Tap Forms finds your current location, you can change it by using the Search button and enter in your own coordinates or search term. For example, type “Big Ben London” and you’ll get a pin dropped on Big Ben in London. Tap the Save button to save it. So you don’t have to clear the field first before changing the value.

Also, the Mac version uses Google Maps and the iOS version uses Apple Maps. So there’s a difference there in how the maps display, but the functionality should be pretty much the same.

If you think that it could be improved, please let me know what you would like to see.

Thanks!

Brendan

September 28, 2015 at 6:22 PM #14727

Tim van den Boog
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I do have a question concerning this topic: I will use TF (most likely) in the field while doing research: for this I’ll need to note down my coordinates (on the iPad), however with TF on the Mac an address is automatically given to the ‘Location’ field, in the jungle there will be no address available..

1) is it possible to add coordinates to the ‘Location’ field, instead of an address?
    2) is it possible to load in maps (pdfs/jpgs/shape files) and use those on TF as background map?

Thanks!

September 29, 2015 at 11:49 AM #14733

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

1. Thanks for the feature request. I’ll see what I can do to make the coordinates editable on the location field when you enter the map view.

2. So you don’t want to use the Google or Apple generated Maps? I don’t think that’s feasible because the Google and Apple generated maps know where to place the pins when I provide the geographic coordinates. I don’t think that would work with a user provided image. Unless all you want is to be able to drop pins on a photo.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 29, 2015 at 4:31 PM #14743

Tim van den Boog
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the quick reply!

1) I mean that the coordinates would not necessarily have to be editable, however an option that you can choose it shows the coordinates rather than an address, is that possible?

2) ArcMap (and other software programs), can export ‘Geo pdfs’ (http://www.terragotech.com/products/terrago-publisher), other apps have the ability to load these Geopdfs into their app and save pins with coordinates in them. This might be a very advanced function though.. was just wondering!

Thanks again,

Tim

September 29, 2015 at 10:04 PM #14749

Brendan
    Keymaster

I should at least display the coordinates beneath the address on the Mac version just like I do on the iOS versions.

September 30, 2015 at 1:33 PM #14764

Tim van den Boog
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

To clarify the second point I tried to make: for (fieldwork) researchers the ability to import and export GeoPDFs would be so great. An app that uses this technique is: http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps, however that app does not have all the other great features yours has. Do you think there is a possibility to build that in? That would be a great contribution for some science fields as a GPS device, camera and datasheets would be replaceable by simply one iPad with TapForms on it!

Kind regards,

Tim

September 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM #14765

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

I’m not really sure at the moment. I know I’d like to support a new list view that shows all the points on a map, one for each record for that location. I’d never heard of GeoPDF until today.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.