Keeping Things Looking the Same On Two Mac's

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Keeping Things Looking the Same On Two Mac's

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

TeamSDA
    Participant

Hello Support & TapForms Community…

I am using the TF Mac version and I would like to keep everything looking the same on two separate MacBook Air. Both machines are identical to one another and both are running the same version of TF. When I sync to iCloud the first machine seems to work great and keep all it’s window and table settings e.g. column size, order and such. While the second machine pulls the forms and data from the cloud, the window based settings are not affected.

My first thought was that these settings are solely user based but it seems that when I make a changed to the window settings of the second machine it sets the first back to defaults. Also see “Further Observation” below.

Does anyone know the proper steps to get both machines matching? As their is no need to have any window customization between machines I would be willing to copy a p-list or appropriate system related folder to achieve this.

Further Observation
    It seems that I need to be running iCloud Sync to keep the one machine configured, e.g. column size and order. If I don’t have this enabled it appears these settings are lost after closing or restart.

Kind Regards,
    Dave

July 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM #10578

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

Tap Forms stores its window preferences in the user defaults.

You can view them by typing in this command into Terminal:

defaults read com.tapforms.mac

However, I don’t recommend transferring them to another computer because there is a lot of machine specific settings in there that would really mess things up if you transferred them to another computer.

I’m surprised that the defaults aren’t being saved if you don’t have iCloud sync enabled though. That’s very strange.

Can you run the above command on your devices with iCloud sync on and with it off to see if the settings disappear? It may be some other reason why this is happening.

There are lots of things that get saved in the user defaults, including window positions, selected columns in multi-column list view, the iCloud sync enabled state, printer settings, etc.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 1, 2014 at 6:59 AM #10581

TeamSDA
    Participant

Hello Brendan…

Thank you for getting back to me with this. I have run Terminal as requested and will forward the reports to you via email. The computer (Kari) with the source forms appears to now retain its formatting even after restart. I did not try making a change to the columns on the second computer to see if that affects things as I need to jump into my day and don’t have time to reformat the columns. FYI, the forms on the second computer (Dave) are not formatted properly but the all pulled down from the cloud just fine.

Let me know if you see anything or need any further tests. I did a lot of activating iCloud in the OS system preferences panel the other day and perhaps their was just something that needed clearing out. Just want to be sure I have things set up properly so I can move forward and the form is solid.

Regards,
    Dave

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.