Join link issue

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

garry
    Participant

I have a child form which is a bank statement and a I call Bank. Added to the normal fields of date,desc,amount, is a ‘catagory’ field. I then have a parent form called Inc/Exp with a record called ‘Catagory’. I have joined these two forms using ‘Catagory’.
    When I enter a ‘Catagory’ value in the parent record the matching records from the Bank form are displayed and the calculated total for the ‘amount’ appears at the bottom of the records. Fantastic!
    However the list display of the parent record shows the catagory and a value of $0.
    I would also like to display a total value in the parent form of all the records but there does not appear to be calculation to allow me to do this?
    Is there a work around or am I missing something?
    I would also like to apply a filter based on the date. The only field available in the parent record is of course the catagory. I tried filtering the child records but it still brings in all the matching records. Any suggestions? I am trying to get catagory totals for given periods. This is the first time I have used then join and I absolutely love it!
    Cheers, Garry

November 30, 2017 at 4:15 PM #26328

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Garry,

I’m glad you are enjoying the new Join Link Type.

Would you be able to email me your Tap Forms template (.tff file)?

Just the parent form please. It will automatically include the child form.

There’s no filter function for filtering linked records.

You can reference from the parent a child field and display its total. Your formula should look something like:

TOTAL( Expenses::Amount )

Where Expenses is the name of the child form and Amount is the name of the child field that contains the values you want to total.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 30, 2017 at 6:35 PM #26332

garry
    Participant

Hi Brendon, How do i create this template file to send? I looked on the forum but if i try and email it just creates csv of the records.

November 30, 2017 at 6:48 PM #26335

Brendan
    Keymaster

Just use the Export Form Template command from the File menu.

November 30, 2017 at 6:56 PM #26337

garry
    Participant

Sorry Brendon, Im on my ipad and cant find anything that says Export form template

November 30, 2017 at 7:26 PM #26339

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah oops. Sorry, you didn’t specify, so I assumed Mac.

Go to the Customize Form area where you add and remove fields. Then tap the action menu button. Then tap on the Email Form function. That’ll send just the template to me. Send to support@tapforms.com

November 30, 2017 at 7:31 PM #26344

garry
    Participant

Thanks Brendon.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 30, 2017 at 8:56 PM #26348

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Garry,

So the problem is that you followed my instructions :)

On the iPad version the formula should be:

[TOTAL::Records::amount]

Now, Tap Forms is supposed to do that for you when you tap on the field from the list of fields on the formula editor, but it seems it’s not for Join link types. That’s a bug. I’ll fix that.

November 30, 2017 at 8:59 PM #26349

garry
    Participant

Thanks Brendon, seems im getting good at creating little bits of work for you :)

November 30, 2017 at 9:17 PM #26350

garry
    Participant

Hi Brendon, sorry to bother you again. I was wondering if its possible to bring the date field for each child record across to the parent? That way i could apply the filter i wanted.

November 30, 2017 at 9:31 PM #26351

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Gary,

That wouldn’t really work. Which record from which date field? Right now the TOTAL works because it’s an aggregate calculation of all the records in the Link to Form field for the selected record. But if it was for a Date field, what is it? An entire string of concatenated dates? The maximum Date? The Minimum Date? I suppose it makes sense to be the Maximum or Minimum, but nothing else.

November 30, 2017 at 9:33 PM #26352

garry
    Participant

of course. thanks Brendan.

January 10, 2018 at 7:47 PM #26941

Aeron Manabo
    Participant

Hi,

I have a problem with the Join Link field. At first, when I place the link to form field (choosing the join link and I also ticked the show inverse option), it was working well. I saw the relationship between the two forms. But, afterwards, when I made some little changes, something went wrong. I couldn’t see anymore the details. But when, I put something in the Link to form field, it adds files to the target form, I just do not see anymore the details of the source form.

January 10, 2018 at 11:28 PM #26942

Aeron Manabo
    Participant

I solved my problem.

Just like to add, I think this is a bug because, when I tried to do it on the one to many link, it functioned well. Just an update.

January 11, 2018 at 1:30 PM #26943

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Aeron,

How did you solve the problem?

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.