iTunes feature request

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Scardanelli
    Participant

My iTunes library is about 40 gig – my iPhone 16 gig. When I’m out and about and see an album I’m not sure I own I’d like to be able to see my entire CD collection in a database, no matter what I had on iPhone at the time. I’ve ripped my entire CD collection to iTunes so is there a way of exporting the list of albums and artists into Tapforms? This would be a great feature for me! When I have several of an artist’s CDs I can never always remember which I don’t have. I used to use a little database on my Palm, but that didn’t sync with iTunes, had to enter each CD into the slot and have it access Gracenote etc. So, can this be done?

Cheers!

January 20, 2010 at 7:18 PM #3906

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Scardanelli,

Well, Tap Forms can read CSV files. So if you can get your library into a CSV format, then Tap Forms can import it.

At one point in time I was considering adding a media field type which would give you direct access to your music library right within Tap Forms. I may still add that in a future update.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM #3908

Scardanelli
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

well I just tried exporting my iTunes library as txt file, but of course it has far too much info! All I want really is the list of albums and tracks. When iTunes exports to txt apparently it exports everything in the info page, and looking at the text file I don’t see any commas, so a mammoth task to sort our several hundred albums! Ho hum, not the most pressing thing on my agenda, but if you decide to add a field for accessing iTunes, I for one would find that very useful. Of course this is only going to work for my purposes if it has access to the complete iTunes library on the main computer.

Cheers

Simon

January 20, 2010 at 8:47 PM #3909

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Scardanelli,

Try selecting your songs in the list view in iTunes and then press command-c to copy to the clipboard. Then open up Numbers or Excel and paste. Add a header row to your document that matches all the columns. Then save as a CSV or tab delimited text file. Then you can upload that to Tap Forms using the Tap Forms WebDAV server on the Files tab. Then on your device, tap the file that you just uploaded and choose to import it. Make sure the encoding is set correctly and the delimiter is set correctly inside Tap Forms to match the import file.

That should do the trick!

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.