Issue with CSV export of custom form

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

kobi
    Participant

I am using latest Tap Form version and created a custom form with five fields. The form has currently 3 records but anytime I select “Export Records” I get a CSV with only the field titles and the first record. Same CSV output I get when I select “Email Records”. Is this a known bug?

I am using iPod Touch 3rd gen with firmware version 3.1.3(with no jail breaking or hacking).

Thanks!

May 12, 2010 at 9:26 PM #4092

Brendan
    Keymaster

This issue was resolved by setting the export date format on the Import & Export Settings screen.

Brendan

September 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM #4212

partrg1
    Participant

Hi, I’m also experiencing this problem. Not sure what you mean by ‘setting the export date format’. Set it to what? I currently have both the import and export date formats set to dd/mm/yyyy. I’ve tried changing it to mm/dd/yyyy but still only the first record of the form is exported to the CSV file.

Cheers

September 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM #4216

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello partrg1,

Hmm… Try setting the export encoding to something like UTF-8. I have been unable to reproduce this issue with exports only exporting a single record.

If you were to send me your TapForms_db.sqlite file, I could diagnose the problem.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 25, 2010 at 11:32 PM #4217

partrg1
    Participant

Great, thanks Brendan. Yes, the encoding is set to UTF-8 so I’ll send you the file.

Cheers

Gavin

December 2, 2010 at 6:01 PM #4271

Anonymous
    Inactive

Has a solution been uncovered for this issue?

I have been testing the “Lite” version of the app and noticed the same thing. Only the first record was being exported (total of four records entered). I did notice that I had run a search while testing and noticed that record exported was also the only listing in the search results. I cleared the search and also restarted Tap Forms. Subsequently all of the records exported.

December 2, 2010 at 7:04 PM #4272

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bgreat,

Yes, I’ve fixed this issue for the next update. It was a caching issue. You are correct, the workaround is to quit Tap Forms completely from the multi-tasking dock and then launch it again and then do your export. In addition, when you issue a search, the export will contain only those records as a result of the search as opposed to all the records in the form. I’m finishing up some stuff in the app now and I will hopefully be submitting my next update to Apple soon.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 14, 2010 at 1:21 AM #4284

Kat
    Participant

Hi Brendan

I am very impressed with this app and I am sure the problems I am having are from user error. I am a Nurse Practitioner and I am trying to create a way to use tapforms for charting. I too, am having difficulty with the .csv export. I have tried the suggestions in the forums and have even deleted the first record, exited the program, resynced to get any updates and I still can only export the first record that has been deleted!

Also, am I missing something regarding the ipad? I have downloaded the app onto the ipad as it is simply easier to work on it. I was able to beam back and forth from the ihpone to the ipad…but I keep reading about your different versions.

When it comes to charting the “rabbit holes” go very deep… transferring each individual record is labor intensive…I manage patients with chronic wounds and it is not uncommon for 1 patient to have multiple wounds. I still work in cave where we are expected to use paper! Can you imagine?

Thank you for your help.

December 14, 2010 at 1:27 AM #4285

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Kat,

The current version has a bug where you need to fully exit the app before you do an export to a CSV file or you won’t get all the records in your export file. By fully exiting the app, I mean you need to use the iPhone’s multi-tasking dock to remove the running app. You can do this by first pressing the Home button once to leave Tap Forms, then double-click on the Home button at the bottom of the iPhone. Then when the horizontal list of running app icons shows up in the multi-tasking dock, you need to tap-and-hold on Tap Forms until the icons start to wiggle. Then tap the red minus sign to tell Tap Forms to really quit.

Now you can re-launch Tap Forms and complete your CSV export. All records should be in the file now. I have fixed this in my next update which I haven’t released just yet. I will be releasing my iPad version (called Tap Forms HD) this evening to Apple for approval, barring any unforeseen critical bugs that may still be lingering around. So far it seems to be working great.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM #4289

Kat
    Participant

Hi Brendan

Thanks for the explanation, I wasn’t aware that the apps have to close that way, but it still doesn’t work. If I try to export 5 forms with records, the record of the first form is into all of the other forms. I went through all of the steps to exit the app and relaunch several times with differnet combinations of sample records and forms. I have enterd data into several forms and then exited the app, I have then relaunched and exported to the csv. and then exited again…then I emailed them…the form name and the field names are correct but the first record of the first form continues to show up in every other form. I am using a dell notebook with Windows 7. Apple is very new to me. I don’t know if that makes a difference but I am not sure about the settings that were discussed in earlier posts… could it be something related to the fact that I am using the iphone app on the ipad?

Also when I beamed a form from the iphone to the ipad, the form transferred ok but the picklists that were attached did not and there does not seem to be a way to beam them individually.

I am really hoping to have this usable by New Year’s. Once I get the forms set up my colleagues want to use it as well.

Thanks so much for your support.

Any idea when the bugfix might be ready?

Kat

December 19, 2010 at 9:54 AM #4290

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Kat,

Normally you don’t have to close apps that way. That was just a workaround for a bug. I’m not sure what you mean by “the record of the first form is into all of the other forms”. Are you saying that when you export a form with its records, you’re getting a file that has records from other forms? The iPhone app on the iPad works the same way as it does on the iPhone. It doesn’t matter what device you run it on. I do have a native iPad version waiting for Apple’s approval.

Beaming doesn’t transmit the pick lists at this time. So you’ll have to set those up again on the target device. I hope to be able to add that to a future update. An easy way to get pick lists over to another device is to just type them up in an email and email it to your device. Each pick list value should be on a line by itself, one per line. Then on the device that receives the email, you need to select all the values (as one big chunk of text), then copy it to the device’s clipboard. Once you’ve done that, in Tap Forms, create a new pick list and then tap “Add multiple values…”. Then double-tap in the text area and tap Paste. All your values should be pasted into the text area. Then tap the Save button. Tap Forms will create all the pick list values for you from the pasted text. Now you just have to associate the pick list with the field.

I am just waiting for some French translations to be finished and then I’ll submit the iPhone update.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM #4291

Kat
    Participant

Hi Brendan

Wow! I am pleasantly surprised by but very appreciative of your prompt response, not to mention your willingness to troubleshoot this issue with me.

Yes I am saying that form 1 record shows up under form 2 record 1… the form 2 fields are named but the record is the same from form 1

if form 1 name is “Fruit” and the fields Orange<text> Apple<text>

record 1 tangerine Mcintosh

form 2 name is “Bread” with the fields white<text> Grain<text>

record 1 baguette seeded rye

when the csv is opened the bread form/record shows as

white<text> Grain<text>

tangerine Mcintosh

When I created the different forms I did use the first form as a template and duplicated it and then changed the name of the form and the fields accordingly, for consistency among the forms but also to save time as well. Obviously I have simplified the examples, but I am going to create some simple forms and not use the duplicate form feature and the export the csv files and see if that has something to do with it….

Thanks again for all of your help!

Kat

December 20, 2010 at 8:32 AM #4292

Kat
    Participant

So I just purchased the Tapforms HD and installed it on my ipad. made a few basic forms some from new and some from duplicate. added records…all exported appropriately. This is truly amazing and I believe it is going to save me so much time with work.

I will look for the update with the bug fix for the iphone.

Thanks so much for everything! I am telling everyone about this app and your sincere tech support as well.

Happy Holidays!

Kat

December 20, 2010 at 5:17 PM #4293

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Kat,

I did some tests on the iPhone version, but am unable to reproduce your issue. But I guess I must have fixed that since it’s based on the same code as the iPad version.

I’m glad you’re happy with the iPad version!

How’d you like to be the first to put a review up on the App Store? :-)

Thanks!

Brendan

December 21, 2010 at 6:58 AM #4294

Kat
    Participant

I’ll log into the app store right now but I bet MarkAC already beat me to it! I will continue to log into this forum as I have been able to learn quite a bit from the discussions. Thanks again for a great app!

Kat

December 21, 2010 at 7:31 AM #4295

Kat
    Participant

I am the “Nurse Practitioner” and I did submit the first review!

Kat

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.