Is this search possible?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Jeff Timp
    Participant

Is it possible to filter displays by numbers matching in two different fields? I’m currently doing inventory and created a new form for 2024 inventory, and want to be able to only see discrepancies between 2024’s and 2023’s numbers.

So the goal is to have a search that compares the two numbers and if they do not match, to display them. Is this possible?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Jeff Timp.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Jeff Timp.
    February 17, 2024 at 8:12 PM #50510

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jeff,

As long as you’re using a single form you can create a Saved Search that filters based upon the values in different fields.

But you can’t create a Saved Search across multiple forms. The searches are per form.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 18, 2024 at 1:34 PM #50516

Jeff Timp
    Participant

yes, it is on the same form, but the options for searching are: is, is not, less than, less than or equal to, greater than, greater than or equal to, is empty, is not empty.

None of these really work for what I’m trying to do. What I’m trying is to compare my 2023 inventory field with my 2024 inventory field, so one solution would beĀ an “is not equal to” so I can then setup the search as

“all the following are true”

2024 inventory “is not equal to” 2023 inventory

which would result in showing me all items in which the numbers do not match. Perhaps there is another way for me to get this result?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Jeff Timp.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Jeff Timp.
    February 18, 2024 at 3:36 PM #50519

Jeff Timp
    Participant

p.s. thank you for your great customer support and awesome program!

February 18, 2024 at 9:16 PM #50520

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah! Ok, I understand now!

You can do this by creating a Calculation field that compares your two fields and returns a Yes or No if they’re equal or not. Then you can filter on that result with a Saved Search.

Use the function IF([2023 Inventory] = [2024 Inventory]; "Yes"; "No)

So if the values of the two fields are equal, it’ll return Yes, otherwise if they’re not equal, it’s return No.

Hope that helps!

Brendan

February 18, 2024 at 9:17 PM #50521

Brendan
    Keymaster

By that way, that IF statement is for comparing numeric data. If you need to compare text data, use the IFEQUAL(A; B; C; D) function. Which means if A equals B, then return C, otherwise return D.

March 2, 2024 at 10:28 AM #50580

Jeff Timp
    Participant

Hello. Thank you so much for your help! I must admit I’m new to calculations like this and having a hard time getting it to work. I have attached the formula as a picture, but unfortunately it’s not resulting in anything. I don’t know if it matters but the field “2024 total inventory” is itself a calculation (sum of two number fields resulting in a number), & the “Inventory” field is a number.

Thanks again for all your help! Really appreciate it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 2, 2024 at 11:29 AM #50582

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jeff,

What’s the Result Type you have set on your form? You’re returning the values “Yes” or “No”, so you need to set that to Text, otherwise you won’t get any return value.

March 2, 2024 at 11:56 AM #50583

Jeff Timp
    Participant

THANK YOU! That was exactly what I was missing! Works great now, and it actually has me thinking of other cool things I can do with your program! Thanks again!!

March 2, 2024 at 1:34 PM #50584

Brendan
    Keymaster

Excellent! Glad to hear that was the solution.

By the way, instead of referencing another calculation field within a formula, it will be faster for Tap Forms to process if you just repeat the formula from the other calculation field inside your formula.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.