Is there a way to make “Link to Form” read-only?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Is there a way to make “Link to Form” read-only?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Pekka
    Participant

Discovered Tap Forms yesterday, at someone’s recommendation, bought it right away and feel like it’s the beginning of a long friendship.

Everything’s looking great, only one thing isn’t quite working as desired. It’s probably a dumb question and been asked a thousand times but I can’t seem to find anything.

The “Link to Form” field allows creating and editing new records in the linked form, which is not ideal behaviour for my everyday work because it’s so easy to destroy or alter data in the linked form (which is my inventory) by accident. I just want me, or someone I train to fill in data, to be able to select one or multiple rows in another form with no danger of altering the linked form. Is there a way to change the field behaviour accordingly?

What I am *really* looking for is a different kind of element for this: something I remember from my Windows programming days as a “Lookup combobox” where I can start typing and it starts suggesting rows from another form based on what I type and I can select the correct row from a dropdown. Perhaps there is a way to make some other element act in this way?

November 27, 2020 at 2:17 PM #42743

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Pekka,

Thanks for finding Tap Forms! And thank your friend for me for recommending Tap Forms to you.

On the Link to Form field there’s a checkmark button. If you click on that, it will display a list of child records that have not yet been linked. You can type into the search field at the top of that to filter the list of records you can link.

Alternatively you could just use a regular Text field and enable the Use Auto-Complete option to get a completion list of previous values you’ve entered.

You could also just use a Pick List to get a similar affect, but to choose from a pre-defined list of values. A Pick List can also be generated from a field in another form.

But you can also enable the access controls to prevent someone from being able to add records to the linked form. Access controls are setup on the main Forms tab inspector panel at the bottom. It’s done on a per-form basis.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.