iPhone OS 4.0 & the iPad…

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

UWS_CIA
    Participant

We just need to see the new iPhone and an Apple TV OS update, :)

I feel like a kid at x-mas, give it to me now.

So with Tapforms being the one app I use 80% of the time I pickup my phone,

What’s in store for Tapforms with the new OS APIs and the iPad?

Side note : Can’t wait to try out the relationship update, that’s going to be a long day updating DBs…

April 9, 2010 at 8:00 AM #4019

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello UWS_CIA,

I am working on an iPad version of Tap Forms. I just started it so it’s going to be a while. OS 4 looks cool. There’s lots of stuff in there I’m sure I’ll be supporting.

Thanks!

Brendan

April 9, 2010 at 5:56 PM #4021

UWS_CIA
    Participant

Is the iPad version going to a separate App or integrated within the current App?

April 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM #4022

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve struggled with that decision for a while. But I think due to the amount of effort to create the iPad version, I’m going to make it a separate app.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM #4038

dm5272
    Participant

Ooh bummer.. I really hope you change your mind.. I’ve been checking daily to see if Tapform has the iPad update. Speaking for myself, I would be disappointed since it would be (essentially) the same product. I know others may agree with you – but this product on the iPad would replace the utilization from my iPhone to only the iPad. Paying double would really suckaroos.

Just thought of this… Maybe an in app purchase of an iPad update charge (if possible) would be a better idea.

I would prefer a $2 addlt charge if you already own the iPhone version or $8 for those who don’t.

Just a thought.

Free would be best!

April 13, 2010 at 2:05 PM #4039

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d like to chime in and say that I’m not disinclined to paying for Tap Forms again as long as it adds significant functionality. What bugs me about the current pricing in the app store is that developers are charging double for software that you’ve already bought for the iPhone — and the only difference in the software is the larger screen. That’s a bummer.

Tap Forms works great on the iPad — it just looks a little ugly on the bigger screen. Maybe another option could be to make a quick update to the iPhone version to upsize it to the iPad’s resolution free of charge to people who’ve bought the iPhone version; a universal update like Instapaper’s? But then maybe have a pro version of Tap Forms for the iPad that you pay for — which could include new features. Now I’m not sure if simply upsizing the resolution is “quick” — just thought I’d throw that out there. In any regard, Tap Forms is wonderful; I’ve recommended it to lots of people and it stays on the first page of my home screen — even on the iPad. :)

April 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM #4040

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Brandon,

Well, from a consumer’s standpoint, I understand your concerns. But from a developer’s point of view, the iPad is a different platform. Even though we can reuse some of the code from the iPhone version, there is a whole lot of new code we must write to manage the interaction between the user and the data. It’s not just a matter of presenting the data on a bigger screen. There are new ways that must be written to present and interact with your data. So it’s essentially like a whole new platform. Every screen and every bit of code that interacts with objects on the screen must be created new or adjusted to work for the iPad.

With that thinking, if you were to purchase a game for the Nintendo Wii, then you should be able to get the PS3 version for free too. But that’s not the way it works.

Think of it as a bonus that the iPhone version will work without modification on the iPad. Sure, it’s not pretty, but it works at least. Oh, and Tap Forms is WAY cheaper than any Nintendo Wii or PS3 or even Mac or Windows app. So that’s a bonus too! :-)

I hope you can understand my perspective.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 24, 2010 at 2:47 AM #4060

PhillipCinci
    Participant

Hello… Nice work on the app just what I wanted. Now… We all need it for iPad. Even if it was just better resolution on 2x ?

Anyway you get an iPad version out there I will buy if I have to….. But some sort of upgrade discount would be fair…. Build the base and loyalty :)

April 24, 2010 at 3:13 AM #4061

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Phillip,

There are a lot of changes that need to be made to get it to work properly in the iPad. I don’t do anything half-baked, so I’d rather build something that is iPad native than just a simple port. It’s my top priority at the moment.

Thanks!

Brendan

June 2, 2010 at 3:55 PM #4099

josh
    Participant

Speaking for myself, I bought Tap Forms for $8.99, my most expensive app to date and the truth is, I would pay it again without a doubt for the ipad. Even at that price, the value is far more than the meager price tag associated with this app.

It’s a new platform, and a new app with what I can imagine will have a whole bucket of new features specific to the ipad experience at very least a custom interface!

Great job Brenden on what I believe is the best app on the app store!

June 6, 2010 at 7:16 AM #4101

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Josh,

Thanks so much for the support! That’s certainly what I’m doing. I’ve seen some applications take their iPhone version and just recompile them for the iPad. Basically you get a big iPad version of the same app. WIth Tap Forms for iPad, I’m creating a new interface for viewing your records. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. It looks pretty cool so far!

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.