iPad1 will not sync

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Johnny Gleden
    Participant

I do have an iPad1 64Gb Wi-Fi that is not syncing Tap Forms database with/from the rest of my equipment
    I do get the message that the sync has failed and som suggestion that I should run the latest Tap Forms version on all devises
    I am running the latest versions I am able to download
    I have also reinstalled all devises with latest systems, latest Tap Forms, reactivated sync and all the other sugestion popping up several times
    iPad1 is able to store itś own database that i do create on the devise, but do not sync the main database from the Mac, but live it`s life alone
    The iPhone is working exelent and syncing exelent with the Mac
    All devises is popping up in the regsitered devises “window” on all the devises
    The Mac Pro database is not showing up on the iPad

I am running Tap Forms on the following equipment and the window with registered devises telling me that all devises are registered
    My Tap Form database are 2.1Gb big and with some 950 items and related info
    I also have run the database maintenance tools available
    The Database and Tap Forms has been running on the Mac since one of the first Tap Forms versions
    Same on the iPhone
    …………
    Mac Pro 8 core 2009 Mavericks 10.9.5
    Tap Forms 3.1.3
    ………..
    iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.2
    Tap Forms 3.8.3
    …………
    iPad 1 with iOs 5.1.1
    Tap Forms 3.1.3
    …………

Is it possible at all to run Tap Forms on an first generation iPad and sync the database with/from other equipment
    PS: the same problem is also on the computer running Yosemite and even when testet on an Mac Mini…the iPad will not sync with the database as the Mac Pro, iPhone and as the Mini does
    Even on an old Mac Pro 2006 running Mavericks ( SFOT ) Tap Forms is working and syncing

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 26, 2015 at 11:57 PM #12818

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Johnny,

As soon as you enable iCloud Drive on a Yosemite or iOS 8 device, then Apple wills top syncing your older devices. Perhaps you did that?

Plus you really need to have the same versions of Tap Forms to sync between your devices. There are changes that I make to the database file from version to version which makes it difficult to sync with older versions of the app.

All those different versions you have just aren’t really compatible with each other for syncing.

You’re best off with version 3.9.4 for iOS and version 3.0.3 for Mac.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 27, 2015 at 3:47 AM #12821

Johnny Gleden
    Participant

Hi

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have not activatet iCloud Drive with my acount on Yosemite
    This beacuse of other problem doing so
    I am also running different versions of Tap Forms because it is the maximum version number that can be innstalled on that spesific unit

… I do think I do understand what the challenge is
    The limitation it is in newer versions of Tap Forms not able to sync with older versions of Tap Forms on x type of platforms like iPhone, iPad and Mac of different ages that all are not able to run the latest versions of Tap Forms
    ………
    So in my case with an old iPad that is only able to run Tap Forms 3.1.3 will not sync with a Mac running Tap Forms 2.2.3, or my iPhone 4 running Tap Forms 3.8.3
    So your answer is…..
    Simply because new versions of Tap Forms is not compatible with old versions of Tap Forms
    Is it that your are telling me….why sync is not working

That made it clear to me the limitation with Tap Forms..that me…with several old computers/iOS equipment mixed wih newer computers/iOS runnning newer versions of Tap Forms on ..5 computers + iPad and iPhone in total shuld be aware of this problems when using Tap Forms because the sync will not work on all my equipment..
    Is there a list i can read/download telling me wich versions of Tap Forms that is not “compatible” with other versions of Tap Forms and versions of iOS/OSX

January 28, 2015 at 12:09 AM #12827

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s no list, but it’s just best to at least have the same versions of Tap Forms running on each device for sync to work. Now, the Mac version is different because the version numbers were never the same as the iOS versions. I’ve considered making them the same, but I often get emails from customers saying what version they’re running, but they don’t necessarily say which platform it’s for, so I have to guess or keep asking them. So I can tell which platform usually based on the version number.

I also don’t have older devices with older versions lying around that I can do testing on them to make sure such a wide variety of versions can still sync together. I can only just recommend that you have the same iOS versions and the latest Mac version that you can run.

I think probably Mac 2.x should sync with iOS 3.8.x though.

January 28, 2015 at 2:19 PM #12835

Johnny Gleden
    Participant

Hi

Thank you for the answer

I have solved the problem…

I bought å new iPhone 6 today and I will use it to sync tap Forms database from one computer with OSX 10.10 Yosemite that is already running the latest Tap Forms today
    Later this week I will by a new iPad Air2 to solve the old iPad1 sync problem
    ( I did test with my wife iPad Air2 today and the sync work excellent )
    Then all my sync problems will hopefully be solved…at least until the next generation of OSX/iOS and Tap Forms versions that is not backward compatible with older type of equipment not running the latest version of operating systems
    My idea where actually to use one old Mac Pro with OSX 9.5 Mavericks, iPad1 and the iPhone4 in my dirty workshop with a Lathe and a milling machines
    The computer, iPad and the computer is all to run Tap Forms
    I do have a Tap Forms Database with all my tools, machines/equipment/spares with all information related to the machines/tools and specifications and storage
    I also have a database with all type of materials on stock in my workshop
    Tap Forms is an excellent tool for this information even if I have spend some time and late nights keying in all the information together with some 2500 pictures on top of all the information
    The Computer is for maintaining the Tap Forms database
    The iPad with Tap Forms I do plan to use around in the workshop for lookup of needed information
    The iPhone/Tap Forms i do use when I am in the city shopping tools, spares and materials for my projects …etc…
    ( nice to have a big database full of information in the pocket )
    Now I just have to be more careful with the new iPad and iPhone in the my dirty workshop
    I am an old man, retired and my workshop is only hobby and recreation so that is why I had the idea to use old and not to expensive equipment
    But…it is only money!
    We only do live once…at least in Norway

Problem is solved

Have a nice day

January 28, 2015 at 11:35 PM #12839

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Johnny,

That’s great to hear.

I am also currently working on Dropbox sync which will allow sync between Yosemite, iOS 8, and Mavericks. But it’ll be a while before I get that going. There’s a crap load of code in there that I have to change to support Dropbox sync, so it’s going to be a while. Just think, everywhere in the app where you can select, view, drag and drop, or delete a file has to have a switch that says “if dropbox then do this, else do that”.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.