IPad to iPhone Sync (Sorry to ask)

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

simononline
    Participant

I have been using tapforms on the iPhone for a while now and love it. I have been hanging in for the cloud sync to be sorted before adding Tapforms on my shinny iPad 3. Your no doubt in the process of sorting this and probably fed up with people asking about it. From where you are in the development now what’s the upgrade sync functionality planned for the transition for users who already have the app on both devices ( i.e. the risk of losing data if I am using both versions and the cloud upgrade is rolled out).

August 3, 2012 at 8:24 AM #5270

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Simon,

No worries mate! I’m happy to hear from customers about whatever questions they have. I’ve submitted Tap Forms 3.0 to Apple for approval just yesterday which includes iCloud sync. The process is as follows:

1. Register device A with iCloud sync.

2. Register device B with iCloud sync.

3. Register device C with iCloud sync.

4. Tap on the sync button on device A and all your changes will be pushed up to iCloud. Device B & C will download the database from A and sync them. Last record, field value, form, field, etc. modified wins. So whichever has the newest modified date wins.

Tap the sync button on the other devices when the they’ve finished downloading and processing the changes from iCloud. The data from devices B & C will then go up to iCloud after they’ve merged their changes with whatever data was in A.

In the end you’ll have the same data on A, B, & C. It all gets merged, so you don’t have to pick a master or anything like that. But if you have data changed in the same form on both devices, as I said, the last one that had the change will win. There’s no conflict detection.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM #5271

Jeremy
    Participant

I love this app and the iCloud support makes it complete for me, Thanks!

How long do you expect it to be before we receive the update on the appstore?

August 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM #5272

Brendan
    Keymaster

I submitted it to Apple a couple days ago, but I had to reject it yesterday to fix a bug that was missed during testing. So I am re-submitting it today. It usually takes Apple over a week to review and approve.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 22, 2012 at 8:26 AM #5288

eponline
    Participant

Hi Brendan – new user here, already grabbed both the iphone and ipad versions – great apps, really happy so far!

Just wondering how the icloud sync is going for the next release? I’m a bit hesitant to move my main databases over fully at the moment just because I hate it when they get out of sync (always seem to lose data one way or another!).

Looking forward to the update…

T

August 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM #5289

Brendan
    Keymaster

iCloud sync is done. Tap Forms 3.0 has been approved, but I haven’t released it into the wild just yet. It’s on “Developer Hold” status. Once Tap Forms Mac gets approved, I’ll release it. I’m holding it back because Tap Forms 3.0 has references to Tap Forms Mac in it and I want Tap Forms Mac to be available at the same time as Tap Forms 3.0 for iOS.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.