iOS not syncing with Mac, creates new Clouding DB

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms iOS not syncing with Mac, creates new Clouding DB

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hello all,
    I must be missing something obvious, but I can’t get iOS and the Mac apps to sync the Tapforms database. I do not get any Cloudant errors, and can store my Cloudant credentials simply on both sides.

The problem is that iOS always creates a new Cloudant DB instead of just syncing with the DB that was created when the Mac client uploaded the data.

Is there a way to force the iOS client to use the Mac created DB in Cloudant?

Cheers,

Nicholas

August 22, 2016 at 10:54 AM #18961

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Nicholas,

You’re just missing the step in the instructions that says you need to first copy the database document from one device over to the other device before you should setup sync.

So remove the database from your iPhone and send the one from the Mac over to it.

Note the Database Name property on the Mac and iOS versions on the Cloud sync settings screen. They need to be identical. And that can only happen if you’re working on a copy of the same document. Not the same backup migrated twice from the old version, but an exact copy of the document from one device transferred over to the other device.

August 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM #18962

Brendan
    Keymaster

This video shows you what to do:

August 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM #18970

Hi Brendan,
    Many thanks for the link, and the useful video.
    Unfortunately, after clicking ‘Accept’ on the iOS device, there is no action on the Mac. Is there a way to side-load the Tap Forms file onto the iOS device?
    Cheers,
    Nicholas

August 22, 2016 at 1:16 PM #18972

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Nicholas,

Sure. You can easily use iTunes File Sharing to transfer the .tapforms document from one device to another:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201301

If you’re using a beta operating system the transfer may not start. What’s supposed to happen is after you press Accept, the device you’re sending from will display a “Compressing…” progress indicator. Then it will transfer over to the other device. But if you have a big file, it’s actually faster to use iTunes File Sharing. Tap Forms looks for .tapforms documents in the Tap Forms Documents area that you’re able to get access to with iTunes File Sharing.

August 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM #18974

Thanks Brendan, that worked great. I uploaded the file through iTunes. The sync works very quickly too, great to have. Cheers!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.