Inverse Relationship – not seeing what I expected

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Inverse Relationship – not seeing what I expected

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

Nice feature Brendan. But when I view the records I don’t get what I expect. I have a form Family with a linked field to a form called TFN – each family member has a TFN. Both forms have List View Fields set at 2. On the family record I expected to see the family members name in the Family col of the TFN record- but don’t – see attached Parent Record.png. When I go to the linked record (single col view) I see the family members name (and birth date) on the right but this does not show on the left col – see attached Linked Record.png. Similarly, when I look at the TFN form, on the left col I see only the TFN and do not see the name of the family member, but there seems to be a space for it.
    Is this as you intend? Or have I done something wrong? Personally I would like to see the name (but not the birthday) in each case (- maybe not on the Family form).
    Again a really nice feature.
    Thanks
    Ray

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 20, 2014 at 8:20 PM #9111

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ray,

Ah yes, I see that now. Well, you could just hide that field using the field selector popup on that linked field. If you think about it, every value would be the same in that list because those records are linked back to your Family record. You’re already looking at your Emmy family record, so there’s really no need to show that in the linked form also.

Perhaps I should just be automatically filtering those out. When I was doing my testing, my linked forms had many more fields and the inverse linked form was off-screen for me.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Brendan

February 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM #9114

Ray
    Participant

Hi Brendan
    Thanks for getting back to me.

I agree that on the family record there is no need to see the name again (I was going to hide it as you suggest). However, I think it is different on the linked record. There I would like to see the Name in the left col.

A possibly related problem I’ve struck is that when I go from the Emmy family record to the specific record in TFN and the try to go back by pressing the back button at the top or the right hand col I go back to Family but it says no record selected.

I’m still getting use to Tap Forms and what it can do – and how I should organise my data. So many good features.

Thanks again

Ray

February 21, 2014 at 2:48 AM #9120

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ray,

I’m not sure what you mean by you’d like to see the name in the left column on the linked record. The inverse of a one-to-many relationship is a to-one relationship. So Tap Forms displays just one record in your TFN form that links back to the Family record. I am using the same format used for the list of records where the field values are on top of each other.

I’ve been testing the back button and haven’t been able to reproduce the issue you’re having just yet.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.