Inventory & Orders

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Phil Lee
    Participant

I am trying to figure out making a solution to track inventory and orders. I am starting with tracking my girls Girl Scout Cookies orders… I want to be able to enter the inventory that we have received. Then enter individual orders. Then be able to automatically show total number of boxes ordered of each item so that I can then show what we have left / what we are short of… Is this something that would be possible????

Thanks!
    Phil

February 6, 2019 at 7:25 PM #33677

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Phil,

I created an Invoice Tracking database that may help you get started with that.

You can download it from the Tap Forms Template Exchange forum here:

Invoice Tracking Template

It has Customers, Orders, & Products.

Hopefully it can help you get started.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 6, 2019 at 8:25 PM #33678

Phil Lee
    Participant

Thanks! That is a great starting point. I am trying to figure out how to then calculate the total number of each item ordered and subtract that from a quantity of the items received… Not sure if a script would be needed or if I am missing something obvious…

February 7, 2019 at 1:32 AM #33680

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well, from the Invoice tracking document perspective, I’m thinking you would have the Quantity Available on the Product form. Then when you choose a Product and enter a quantity, you want that quantity to be subtracted from the Product’s quantity? Although it sounds like a simple thing, it’s a bit tricky. You would definitely need JavaScript to do that work for you.

When you changed the quantity of the selected product, you would need a script that would fetch the product record, then update its Quantity on Hand by subtracting the value you just typed in.

The problem right now though is I haven’t written an API to let you directly search a form for a specific value in a specific field (e.g. a product number). You can search the products in a for loop though, getting every product and looking at the value for the field to see if it matches the selected product number. But depending on how many products you have, it could slow things down. Although you would short circuit the loop once you’ve found the right product. It’s still not super efficient if the product you’re looking for happens to be the last one in the list.

Once you’ve found the matching product to the one you selected, you’d just update it’s Quantity on Hand. In the Orders form, Tap Forms has a Table field that lists the selected Product records. The values for those entries are there by copying the values from the Product form. They’re not directly linked to the Product form in any way.

It’s certainly doable. But would just take some work to write a script to do what you need.

Hopefully you’ve got some JavaScript skills :)

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.