importing CVS file containing Chinese Character error

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms importing CVS file containing Chinese Character error

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I’ve tried a few hours to import a CVS file containing Chinese Characters in vain, and the records containing Chinese Character display to be Gibberish. When I chose Unicode (UTF-8) in Import/Export setting , the import file message displayed less records (6 records), If I chose “automatic” setting, it displayed the correct records, but all the Chinese are Gibberish.

I’ve also tried to save my file to Text file in vain.

Thanks

Arthur

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM #8699

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Arthur,

Normally Chinese character documents would be encoded with UTF-16. But I’m not sure what the encoding is on your file. When I open it with TextWrangler it says it’s MacOS Roman, but the content of the file has a bunch of gibberish:

©•¥÷,”©•¥÷¨∞§H≥y§ßƒq•€≈÷∫˚

So that’s obviously not the correct encoding. I tried re-opening the file with UTF-8, but that also produced garbage.

What is the source of the file? If you open it up outside of Tap Forms, say in a plain text editor such as TextWrangler or TextMate, what do you see?

Thanks,

Brendan

January 13, 2014 at 12:40 AM #8700

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, I think I found the right encoding. Traditional Chinese (Windows, DOS) ?

In any case, you’ll need to convert the encoding to UTF-8 before you import into Tap Forms. Tap Forms doesn’t have the native Traditional Chinese (Windows, DOS) file encoding.

I’ve attached a version converted to UTF-8 for you.

Thanks,

Brendan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 13, 2014 at 3:42 AM #8702

Arthur
    Participant

Hi, Brendan,

It does work now, Thanks.
    Yes, the problem is because the data is stored in the Microsoft Access database, and the data format is not what we think, even I use the built-in tool to transfer the file to CVS or Text file, it become gibberish as well. But if I use NotePad to open the file again, and save to UTF-8 Format, it works.

Thanks again

Arthur

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.