Importing Bento data with multiple related databases

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Importing Bento data with multiple related databases

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

thinkingcat
    Participant

I am very pleased with the general ability of Tap Forms to import data from exported Bento templates — I thought there was no way I’d ever be able to preserve my linked records from Bento!

But, I have a challenge. I have several Bento databases that have “related data” fields that point to one particular Bento database. For ease of discussion, let’s say I have “Food Experiences” and “Event Menus” databases that each have related data fields that point into the “Recipes” database.

Is there any way to import all 3 databases and preserve the links? As far as I can tell, I can only export one Bento database at time. I can start by exporting “Food Experiences” and say “yes” to including the related database “Recipes”. But when I go to export “Event Menus”, if I again say “yes”, I get a second copy of the Recipes database. If I say “no”, I get the expected “no links at all”.

I fully expect the answer is “no, there is no way to export all these as a bundle” (or import them, properly, as a bundle).

But, I thought I’d ask…

September 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM #10890

Brendan
    Keymaster

If you create a “New Library Folder” in Bento and put all of your Bento libraries into that folder, then click on the folder, you can export that as a template. It will include all of the included forms into the same template export. Tap Forms knows about this structure and it will create a new Category with the name of the Library Folder from Bento and put all of your forms inside of it.

So it may be possible to do what you want because Tap Forms keeps track of all of the forms that it’s importing as part of the entire set of forms. It should be able to re-establish the links to all the records that way.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.