Importing a text file as a note?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Shrimpfarmer
    Participant

Hi

I have a plain text file which is just under 9k in size. I would love to be able to have the whole text file as one note in the database.

I have use webdav to import the text file but I cannot get it to import the entire file as a note. Is there a way to do this please ?

I have also tried viewing the file, but I cannot copy and paste the entire file and its very fiddly trying to copy pieces of text to paste into a note.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Ken

March 18, 2010 at 6:56 AM #3997

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hey Ken,

If you have the note in a single column with a header row formatted like this:

My Note<note>

“this is my note with all the text

in it that I want displayed inside my note field.”

Then Tap Forms will create a form for you with a single field and import the text. You need double-quotes surrounding the entire note though. This tells Tap Forms that any line feeds within the note still belong to the same field value.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 18, 2010 at 5:00 PM #4000

Shrimpfarmer
    Participant

That worked a treat. Thanks for the answer Brendan.

Ken

PS I just did a nice review of your app on the webstore!

March 18, 2010 at 5:03 PM #4001

Brendan
    Keymaster

Thanks Ken, much appreciated!

April 6, 2010 at 11:46 AM #4017

Shrimpfarmer
    Participant

Hi Brendan

Just to let you know, today I uploaded a revised text file and I noticed that whenever the import encountered a £ sign within the file, the import ended at that point. When I removed the £ sign the rest of the file imported completely.

Regards

Ken

April 9, 2010 at 11:22 PM #4031

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Ken,

Sorry for the delayed response. You need to match the file encoding set in Tap Forms to the same file encoding of the file with the pound currency symbol. It should work fine.

What program did you use to create the file? If it’s Excel for Windows, try using Windows Latin 1 as the import file encoding.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.