Importing 100 CSV files into one Tap Forms form

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Importing 100 CSV files into one Tap Forms form

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

James Anderson
    Participant

Hey guys. Maybe you can speed up my work a little. I have about 100 csv files that I want to import into one form. They are not large files, but currently I think have to manually import each one. I was hoping to be able to select all of the files and Tap Forms would just import one after another. I looked for Shortcuts, Automator, and AppleScript support for doing this, but I didn’t see anything obvious. Do you guys have any brilliant suggestions?

Thank you for taking a look at this.

July 12, 2022 at 11:31 PM #47601

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi James,

I would recommend just joining the CSV files together into one big CSV file and then import them in one go.

You’d have to remove the header row from all but the first CSV file though.

With the Terminal application you could join them all together into one file with this command:

cat *.csv >> all.csv

Then open the file in BBEdit or something and search for the header rows and delete them except the top one.

It’s tricky with CSV files to multi-select them because each one has a header row and the header row could be different for each file. So that’d really mess up the import if I supported multi-select.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 13, 2022 at 5:26 AM #47604

James Anderson
    Participant

Thanks for the idea, Brendan. I’ll give that a shot.

July 13, 2022 at 7:39 AM #47606

Daniel Leu
    Participant

It looks like you can combine multiple CSV files with Excel and then export the data into a single file. That might be a bit less work.

Have a look at the second section (Combine multiple CSV files into one with Power Query) in https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/merge-multiple-csv-files-excel/

Or you can use a service like http://merge-csv.com/ to do the trick if you don’t mind to share your data with such service provider.

August 23, 2022 at 2:43 PM #47808

James Anderson
    Participant

Great answers. I went with an app called CSV Merger to help clean things up, get them imported and then move them to Tap Forms. It is more powerful and flexible in its ability to handle CSV imports.

August 23, 2022 at 3:25 PM #47809

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Perfect! Thank you for sharing your solution!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.