Imported field types

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

xpusostomos
    Participant

So I imported my Bento data, which sort-of works. But then if I edit the form to change date fields to be date type, and number fields to be numbers, those fields vanish. The only way I can do it is to create a new field of type date, and then go through tediously record by record, field by field, and copy the data by hand to the new fields. Which is odd, because Tap Forms understands the original format, when I cut and paste it. But it seems to not understand to do it automatically. I don’t have to massage the date layout to get it to understand it when I do it by hand.

So isn’t this rather odd?

October 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM #6843

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

The field type needs to be known before you begin your import into Tap Forms Mac (and iOS). On the Import Records screen (Mac) you are given the opportunity to select the field type of each of your fields before the import. Have you tried that? Also make sure the Date and Time formats are setup correctly before you click the Import button.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 1, 2013 at 6:07 AM #7251

xpusostomos
    Participant

Err, yeah but I imported on IOS. So your comment about Mac doesn’t really help me. I see no option on import to select field types.

Also, I don’t know how it works internally, whether it is sqllite or whether the underlying database doesn’t make it easy for you to change field types, but end users simply don’t care. WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE FIELD TYPES. This really needs to be an urgent upgrade.

November 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM #7270

xpusostomos
    Participant

So is import on IOS basically broken and unusable since there is no option to select field types, nor is there a method to change field types?

November 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM #7279

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry I thought you were talking about the Mac version as you didn’t say what platform you were using in your first email. When people talk about importing a Bento export into Tap Forms, I usually infer that they’re using the Mac version.

You can certainly change field types, but only from some field types to others. For example, from Text to Note or from Number to Rating, etc.

You can also pre-set your field types in the header row of your CSV file or you can create a form in Tap Forms, set all the field types there, then import INTO that form rather than letting Tap Forms make a new form for you. You can do that by going to the Edit Form screen for your form, then tapping on the Action menu button, then tapping on “Import Records”.

If you export a form and enable the Export Field Type Tags option, you’ll see an example of the tags you can use for the header row of the CSV file.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.