Import Picture Options

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

I have over 3000 records with related images I need to get connected. In Tap Forms 3 there was an option to include the image name in a field and then upload the images to a folder and Tap Forms would bring them into the database. In Tap Forms 5 there is a similar folder, but the image names seem completely random. I know this has been discussed in a few other posts, but there doesn’t appear to be any clear ideas of a solution or a work around. Is there a time line for a fix, or a workaround? Is there some pattern to the naming of the image files in Tap Forms 5 that I could take advantage over instead of manually importing 3000+ images.

Thanks!

October 8, 2016 at 12:19 PM #20005

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mackay,

I actually wrote code to import photos from a folder that sits along side the CSV file you’re importing from. But OS X’s security thwarted my efforts to provide a seamless solution for that. When I selected a CSV file, it wouldn’t let me access a folder of photos along side the CSV file. That’s when I decided to write the Tap Forms Archive export and import function. The majority of times when customers wanted to import data into Tap Forms, it was always from a CSV file that was already generated by Tap Forms. However, I’m going to see if I can make this work somehow.

There’s two solutions I can think of that would make this work. Either you would have to compress the CSV and Photos folder into a Zip file that Tap Forms can read. Or you would have to first select the CSV file and then select a folder that contains all the photos.

October 8, 2016 at 3:10 PM #20008

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, I got this working for an upcoming release…

See attachment.

You select your CSV file and then optionally select a folder where the photos are stored.

Tap Forms will match up the names of the photos in the CSV file with the filenames of the photos in the selected folder. If you have multiple photos per photo field, separate them with a semi-colon.

E.g.

photo-1.jpg; photo-2.jpg

I think this should solve the problem for you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    October 13, 2016 at 5:53 PM #20047

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

This looks like a very slick solution. I appreciate your effort and look forward to trying this out!!

October 13, 2016 at 8:36 PM #20048

Brendan
    Keymaster

It’s available on the Mac App Store now.

October 14, 2016 at 4:39 PM #20053

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

Is it version 5.0.8. I don’t see the folder of photos option.

October 14, 2016 at 10:17 PM #20056

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, version 5.0.8 on the Mac App Store. The direct download version doesn’t have it just yet. I’m just working on another fix right now and once I’m done that I’ll publish to the direct download version the update.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.