import hangs

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Version 2.0.2, paid version.

Verizon iPhone 4, 32 Gb, 29 Gb free.

I am seeing a hang at the end of all imports. Here is a simple recreation:

Create a simple form, with one text field.

Create a record.

Export all records.

Delete the record from the table.

Import the exported file.

The Import File screen correctly reports 1 rows (sic).

Pushing the Import button, there is a temporary popup which shows importing 1/1 and then the screen dims and stops responding to screen taps. Leaving the program from the hardware button works fine. And upon re-entering the program, there is a popup which reports Import Complete, and an OK button to dismiss it. After dismissing it, the record is in the table.

I also saw this problem when evaluating the free version a couple of days ago.

April 15, 2011 at 1:36 AM #4568

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello,

That’s odd. What’s supposed to happen is the Optimizing Form alert should display. Maybe just wait a little while longer while the screen is dim. Perhaps that screen is taking a while to display. You could also manually activate the optimize function by going to the Tools area, then tapping “Database Maintenance”, then tap “Analyze Database”. That’s the same function that runs after you do an import. You could also try vacuuming your database to see if that makes things a bit quicker for you. It will also reduce the file size of your database. If you’re deleting a lot of records and adding them again over and over, this can cause database file fragmentation. The vacuum process will write out a clean version of the database without any fragmentation.

Thanks!

Brendan

April 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM #4571

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello.

This is against fresh installs, without creating (and or deleting) lots of records. I see an Importing File popup, and it dismisses itself, and then the screen dimming. Waiting the 1 minute it takes for my auto shutdown to kick in, and still no joy. Turning the screen back, I see the Import Complete popup, which says OK and waits to be dismissed by me.

Vacuuming the db has no effect upon this.

Is there any further characterization, instrumentation, debugging that I can do here?

Thanks,

David

April 16, 2011 at 7:21 AM #4572

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello David,

I haven’t seen the optimizing alert not pop up before. I’m wondering if there’s anything unusual about your device. Is it jailbroken or anything like that? You said it’s a Verizon version. That’s using a slightly different version of the OS than the GSM version. Perhaps there’s some odd difference there which is causing this issue. Do you have access to another device, such as an iPod which you could test on to see if the problem happens there? It hasn’t happened for me. I followed your steps exactly but it’s working fine. After the Optimizing Database alert message pops up, the Import Complete message normally then pops up. The dimming of the screen occurs right before any alert is displayed.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM #4573

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Brendan,

My device is not jailbroken, and has nothing special about it.

I installed Tap Forms Lite 2.0.2 on a new iPad 2, Wifi only version and see the same behavior. Here is a more detailed reproduction description, this time done with the same steps on the iPad 2:

Forms page, tap +

Select A Form, tap New

New Form – tap Form Name

New Form Name – enter xyzzy on keyboard

New Form Name – tap Save

New Form – tap Add a Field

New Field – tap Field Title

New Title – enter f1 on keyboard

New Title – tap Save

Edit Field – tap New Form

New Form – tap Select A Form

Select A Form – scroll down to bottom and tap xyzzy

Edit Record – tap f1

Edit Value – enter abc

Edit Value – tap Save

Edit Record – tap Forms

Forms – tap xyzzy

xyzzy – tap the Actions icon

Actions menu popup – tap Export Records

An popup is seen which says Exporting Records, and dismisses itself

Export Complete popup reports “Your CSV file is now available …” – tap OK

Forms – tap the Actions icon

Actions menu popup – tap Import Records

Files – tap Exports folder

Exports – tap xyzzy.csv

Import File – reports 13 bytes, 1 rows – tap Import

Importing File popup 1 of 1 appears, and dismisses itself.

Screen dims and hangs.

I time out waiting for this after a minute, and press the home hardware button, which switches out the app. Re-entering the TapForms

Import Complete popup appears reporting that the file was imported successfully – tap OK

Forms (showing 2 records in form xyzzy) – tap xyzzy

xyzzy – shows two records

David

April 19, 2011 at 11:47 PM #4577

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have just tried this same recreation on an iPhone 2, iOS 4.2.1, and it behaves correctly there. The Optimizing Form alert pops up a and dismisses itself as part of the import process.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.