Import from CSV / Excel

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Dirk Soenen
    Participant

hi Brendan,

I’m transferring a large bookcollection for man access based application to tap forms. I have a field Yes/no, which i want as a checkmark in Tapforms. I see that this works fine with a CSV file, but with exactly the same data in a XSLX file, it remains a text field. as the xlsx file is easier to work with, also for the export from access i would appreciate if you could have a look in this.

If i may i would like also some suggestions for future developments:
    – enforce the search and replace in something like a sql update query (replace field x when some conditions)
    – enhance the query possibility with nested conditions. Now it is AND or OR. Sometimes you need something like AND A or B, OR C. I don’t know whether i make myself clear, but something that looks like a real SQL statement.

Thanks for your attention

Dirk

December 11, 2016 at 6:51 AM #20598

Dirk Soenen
    Participant

Adding to my post: in fact the problem seems not to be csv or excel. In fact, neither do work. I discover that in previous cases my workflow was access -> CSV/EXCEL -> Bento -> Tapforms. that works, albeit complicated. otherwise to my experience a Yes/no cannot become a checkmark. Sorry for the confusion.
    Dirk

December 11, 2016 at 11:26 AM #20603

Brendan
    Keymaster

Tap Forms should be able to interpret a Yes/No value as a checkmark. You could also change them to 1 or 0 and that’ll work too.

December 12, 2016 at 12:32 AM #20609

Dirk Soenen
    Participant

Hi Brendan. thanks for your swift response. I did some testing and Yes/No, YES/NO,yes/no does not seem to work. However, changing in 1/0 did the job.

Thanks again for helping out.

Dirk

December 25, 2021 at 1:36 PM #46183

Helder Pereira
    Participant

Would it be possible to add to the CSV export dialog an option for the export format of the Check Mark fields? I want to import the tap forms records to an Access table, but the check mark fields are exported as yes/no fields, not 1/0, as they are when exporting to excel. It seems like Access can’t understand the yes/no format, but it can the 1/0, hence my query.
    Thanks.

December 26, 2021 at 1:32 AM #46185

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Helder,

Is this something you do regularly? Exporting from Tap Forms and importing into Access?

You could just do a search and replace on the Checkmark field in the CSV file after exporting to change the values to 0/1.

December 26, 2021 at 2:46 AM #46186

Helder Pereira
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Yes, exporting and importing to Access is something I do regularly.

It is difficult to do the replacing of yes/nos to 1/0s: for one I have many fields with checkmarks on two tables, and on excel the csv files do not open tabulated, they are continuous strings, so it is difficult to automate changing yes/nos to 1/0s…

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.