images vanishing

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Astrid Koeppe
    Participant

Hey here,

I have the weirdest issue that happened on a smaller scale before, but now it is massive. I use tap forms for my artwork database, sorted by year. In the iPhone version, every now and then some pictures from entries vanish, or sometimes they are still shown first but once you click on them to enlarge the app claims there is no picture. So far I just uploaded the pictures manually on the iPhone to solve this.
    But now HUNDREDS of images have vanished – almost everything from 2012 through 2016 and about a quarter of the works from 2017. Completely gone. (Weirdly enough, nothing from before 2012 or from 2018 on though.) It’s always the exact same type and size of image, mind you. Small jepgs, 4×6 cm. Everything is still there in the Mac version.
    Sync of other data still works. But the images are gone and will not update through sync.
    What to do??? This is driving me crazy.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

July 22, 2020 at 4:17 PM #41444

john cesta
    Participant

Yes, I have the exact same problem. I load a few small pictures on the phone or Mac etc and on the other device they show as placeholders. Then maybe later on the other device they also show as placeholders.

If I delete them sometimes then there are twice as many place holders on the other device.

I gave up on pictures.

They say to add a field of a calculation to kick the sync in the butt but that hasn’t worked for me.

July 22, 2020 at 10:23 PM #41460

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Astrid,

I would suggest that if the photos are still on the Mac version, close and remove the document on your iPhone and use the Send Document function to re-send the copy of the document from the Mac to the iPhone. Your images will appear again on iPhone.

Sorry for this trouble. I’m working on a longer term project which will manage images and file attachments in a different way than they are now which will eliminate this issue.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 23, 2020 at 2:04 PM #41486

Astrid Koeppe
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

thanks a lot! Strangely enough, the Send Document function doesn’t work at all here though. When I click the share button a window to select nearby devices pops up but then stays empty – despite the iPhone being right there, in the same wifi, with airdrop enabled and open, same apple-ID etc. pp.
    Then I tried it through iTunes File Sharing, and luckily that worked :)
    But I think there might be an app-specific issue with Airdrop? Has this happened to anyone else?

Anyway, thanks for the quick reaction as always!
    Astrid

July 23, 2020 at 2:57 PM #41487

john cesta
    Participant

I had done it yesterday on three of my devices worked ok.

You can also do a backup on the Mac and save the backup onto the phone. Click in it and open it on the iPhone with TF

But airing it is quicker.

July 23, 2020 at 3:02 PM #41488

Astrid Koeppe
    Participant

Very strange. But lucky you! I tried for hours, to no avail. Airdrop works in general between my Mac and iPhone, just not with Tap Forms, for whatever reason.

July 23, 2020 at 10:14 PM #41492

Brendan
    Keymaster

The Send Document function is nothing more than using Apple’s AirDrop system. So it should work just as easily as AirDrop regularly. In fact, if you had a .tapforms file on your Desktop or anywhere accessible in the Finder, you can just drag it to the AirDrop window in the Finder, drop it onto another device that appears and it will be sent there and automatically routed to Tap Forms where it’ll appear on the main Documents view. Well, if you’re sending to iOS that is. If you AirDrop to another Mac, it goes into the Downloads folder. Then you have to drag it to the main Database Documents list window.

July 24, 2020 at 2:51 PM #41501

Astrid Koeppe
    Participant

I am aware, but it just doesn’t work here, what can I say… my iPhone simply doesn’t show up in the pop-up window that is supposed to show the devices to send to. The window stays completely empty. And as I said – AirDrop works otherwise, just not from that app through that pop-up. Maybe a minor bug in the German version?
    In any case: I got it done via iTunes. All good :)

July 24, 2020 at 6:50 PM #41502

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, iTunes works too. I do mention that as an optional way to do it if AirDrop isn’t supported on one or more of the devices you’re using. I’m glad you got the file over.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.