If Tap Forms 3.8.2 runs slowly, do this

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Brendan
    Keymaster

Tap on the Database Maintenance button on the Tools screen, then tap on each of the buttons, one after the other. It should speed up after that.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 20, 2014 at 4:12 AM #10188

divinenanny
    Participant

Tap Forms as it is now (3.8.2) is unusable for me.
    I can’t open my most used forms (with many, many records) because I get a spinning wheel.
    I can’t perform maintenance on my 737 MB database because Tap Forms crashes before finishing (any option). What can I do now to get my TF back in working order?

And now it works. Go figure. I tried Database clean up again, and it finished (it is 443.8 MB now, nice!)

May 20, 2014 at 4:32 AM #10190

Julian Brown
    Participant

TapForms was taking so long to open on my iPhone 5 that I was having to turn the ‘phone off then back on again.

I tried Brendan’s tip and it now opens instantly!

May 21, 2014 at 11:55 PM #10212

Brendan
    Keymaster

This seems to have been caused due to an optimization I made for the Mac version to help it compute the row heights of the records in single-column list view mode. This bit of code is shared between the Mac and the iOS versions. Since I had my sample databases already optimized, I didn’t notice this problem before. However, in the 3.8.3 update I’m preparing, I’ve stripped out that optimization for the iOS version. That will return the performance to the previous levels.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 28, 2014 at 1:00 PM #11452

Keith Webb
    Participant

I updated Tap Forms about a week ago (version 3) and now it has virtually stopped working, going into the recalculate mode for maybe a couple of minutes for each keystroke – there doesn’t seem to be an option to update to later than 3.0 I’m still running Mavericks OS on a Macbook Pro.
    It ran fine before this.

October 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM #11454

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Keith,

The “Recalculating…” message appears if you have a Calculation field that contains a $now reference. It’s re-computing all of the values every time the list of records is refreshed. It used to update the calculation result only when you viewed a record. But this made it difficult to build saved searches based upon those calculation fields.

I may need to take that out if it’s causing too much trouble.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 28, 2014 at 2:45 PM #11459

Keith Webb
    Participant

Thanks Brendan
    I see there is one calculation field in my database which was imported from the original Bento file – I don’t need it but can’t see how to delete it.

October 28, 2014 at 2:55 PM #11460

Keith Webb
    Participant

I think I’m OK now – I found one form with the calculation field and deleted it.

October 29, 2014 at 5:47 PM #11490

Philip Tate
    Participant

The new method of automatic calculation saves me a lot of time. Please keep it (or add a button to do it at will). I’ve never seen a field update under any conditions unless I went in and changed the formula, so this is a big improvement.

November 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM #11538

Mike Beck
    Participant

Hi. I am a new user to Tap Forms, as of 2 days ago. Bento’s ability to do conditional searches stopped working when I upgraded to Yosemite – no idea why – and I needed a new platform. Tap Forms got some very good reviews so I am hoping it works for me. I have a few libraries, one of which is pretty large – about 5000 records (multi-year expense reporting)- and a few others nearing 1000 records each. There are some non-complex calculations in the data base, but there are a lot of them. I am running on an Apple Air, mid-2012 model, 8Gs of memory, and a 2 GH core. My problem: every keystroke seems to freeze the screen for seconds at a time. Very frustrating. And it makes it painfully slow to even scroll to the bottom of the list. I have read the other forum entries, and realize that there may be an automatic recalculation issue, but I am unsure how to address it.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks much. Looking forward (I hope) to being a satisfied user of Tap Forms.

November 1, 2014 at 2:31 PM #11539

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

Do you have this keystroke issue if you switch to single-column view? I am working on fixing the multi-column list view so it responds more quickly.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM #11542

Mike Beck
    Participant

Brendan

Thanks much for the quick response.

The issue is almost eliminated in single column view. Scrolling down in single column view still has a bit of pause but it is almost eliminated Really no problem.

Interestingly, when working in multicolumn view and doing a conditional search there is a slight pause (spinning ball) when moving between, say, sort criteria. Not much but certainly noticeable.

Also, one last question: when I do a conditional sort using single column view it is very quick, but when I click on the multi-column view to see the full records for that particular sort, it defaults back to the complete library. I did not save the sort results, but also did not clear the sort request. Is the solution to save each sort made in single column view if I want to review the sort results in multi-column format?

Thanks,
    Mike

November 2, 2014 at 10:48 PM #11550

Keith Webb
    Participant

It is behaving erratically again, after deleting the calculation field it worked OK for a little while but now on opening it goes into recalculating mode for about two minutes, then each time I go to enter something into a text field I get the spinning beach ball for about 50 seconds before I can move to another field. This has only started to happen with version 3.

November 3, 2014 at 1:21 AM #11552

Brendan
    Keymaster

I will be submitting an update at the end of this week that should correct the performance issues.

If you would like to beta test 3.0.1 (the demo version), you can download it from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sluvd5csb2aixp6/Tap%20Forms%20Demo%203.0.1%20beta.app.zip?dl=0

You will not be able to add more than 15 records in total, but you can backup your existing database, then restore to the demo version and test the performance to see if it’s any better.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 3, 2014 at 2:02 AM #11563

Keith Webb
    Participant

That would be great thanks Brendan! I’ll wait for the release of the finished version.
    Keith

November 3, 2014 at 2:27 AM #11566

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Keith,

If you download the demo beta, it won’t replace your existing version or your existing database. But you can give it a try using backup & restore to see if it works better for you. I would like to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 3, 2014 at 2:56 AM #11568

Keith Webb
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I did what you suggested, made a backup, downloaded the demo, restored from the backup and it works without any issues as far as I can see, no spinning beach ball at all. Looking forward to the release!

Keith

November 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM #11572

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Keith,

Ah that’s great to hear.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 5, 2014 at 12:17 PM #11617

carlosMAP
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve also tried demo version 3.0.1, and it really improves performance. There is no delay «Calculating…» each time you select a saved search to get a set of records. Scrolling in now smooth, as in prior versions.

However, scrolling horizontally to switch between desktop screens (four fingers left or right gesture) causes an annoying flickering. It happens when Tap Forms is started, and even persists after closing the application.

Waiting for the next 3.0.1 release.

November 12, 2014 at 6:05 AM #11717

Mike Beck
    Participant

Brendan – When do you think you will release 3.0.1? Thanks.- Mike

November 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM #11722

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

It’s still waiting for review at Apple. I’ve done my part. The ball is in their court now. I submitted 3.9.2 for iOS and 3.0.1 for Mac at exactly the same time. 3.9.2 for iOS was reviewed and approved the next day. They haven’t even looked at the Mac version yet.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 17, 2014 at 7:10 AM #11788

Richard
    Participant

Any update as to when 3.0.1 will be released?
    I’m working purely off my iPhone at the moment which is quite a strain as trying to use Tap Forms on my Mac is so painfully slow.

Thanks

Richard

November 17, 2014 at 1:19 PM #11795

Brendan
    Keymaster

It got rejected on Saturday. I submitted an update shortly after with the change they asked me to make. But unfortunately that also means I got shot to the bottom of the queue again. So it’s still waiting for a review.

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.